Spares and tools

Raider

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My nightmare James is that Tim drives my TR7 on some poncy smooth tarmac roundy roundy tarmac event ::)  Of course, no matter how good the TR was in comparison he couldn't possibly say so :D#

Mind you, his nightmare is probably that I take his GT6 by the scruff of the neck and throw it round a few rally stages :)

It's all about horses for courses

If I wanted to go rallying - I'd go for a 2000 or TR7... if I wanted to go circuit racing I'd choose a Spit/GT6/TR6...

If I want to drive something on the road - then I'd choose anything that has some sort of soul, good looking, nice to drive etc...

Driven every Triumph apart from a TR7 and an early TR (and a 1300) - and if I could only choose one it would probably be a GT6! It's got everything in respects driving it every day... the looks and the noise being most important...

Nothing to do with the thread of course but Graham robson when he was Competitions Manager for Triumph decided to use 2000s for off road and long distance rallys and Spitfires for tarmac events.

Of course there would have been many reasons taken into account and we now have the luxury of the whole range to choose from.

Regarding driving on the road a Stag would have to be in with serious consideration for me

My "road" driving specification also requires a bit of fast driving when required - but doesnt have to be "the best" - for instance on the LCC you may well have gone much quicker on the rough stuff in your TR7 - but it doesnt mean the slower cars werent having as much fun. (of course you know this)

Actually I havent driven a Stag - but I'm not a fan of the looks or idea (large soft top). Much rather a 2000.

James, your choice of the GT6 is an excellent one: practical, peppy, roaring, grin inducing, makes girls take their knickers off, old boys wet their pants, makes you taller, slimmer, restores hair loss, you become well read, men think you are a hero...and...and...er...West ham get promotion! I'm polishing mine tonight...and the car (well, if Raider can get away with old jokes).

All,
Some of the above have so many spares etc, they must be either in a saloon or towing a trailer.  Either way they will have a lot of extra weight to carry.

The enclosed is a tool that weighs nothing - a car parts phrase book.

Please add to it!

John

PS I am NOT a linguist! See caveat therein.
If these don't help, speak English, LOUDLY!   J.

I will be calling in at Chris Witors (WITORLAND RANCH) 3rd Sept to collect some parts.
If anybody needs any spares/parts 2000 saloons or 6cylinder engine pts I can bring them to the start at the the plough on the 8th.
Just call chris and pay him I will be the Mule 

looked at the spares and tools with the intention of taking some out of the boot.

Nearly removed a half inch ratchet set but then put it back in ::)

Then I threw in the tent, camping gear etc - there won't be an inch of space at this rate and the wieght won't help going up the Stelvio etc :o

I'll be carrying spare brake fluid, water/antifreeze mix, a gallon of Duckhams 20/50, gear oil and screenwash (5 litres) - should I just ditch all this instead ??)

One thing I ahve removed is a spare fuel can - it's illegal to carry it in some countries anyay

Big screen on a TR7 don't you know, suppose that windscreen water is one thing that F&D or Jon/John will not need!

My problem is that because I run 15" wheels, the spare will not fit in the wheel well, suppose I could fill the well with other bits and pieces.

Fluids:
1 litre of engine oil
1 litre of gear oil
Brake fluid
Nothing else apat from water to use fr brewing tea.

Screenwash mix - better than just water for getting rid of bugs etc. 5 litres is too much tho, although I remember Doug Foreman in Italy buying 5 litres (mind you he thought it was antifreeze ;D).

Antifreeze/water mix - I don't want to carry just water as I want to keep the antifreeze/corrosion inhibor level up. Running water only does no good to the alloy head :-/
I also don't want to just chuck neat antifreeze in either.

I need two types of gear oil too - ATF for the gearbox and EP80/90 for the diff.

Carrying 5 litres of oil etc does let me help out other people on the run though - as I did last time

No doubt I'll scale back the quantities by the time I get to the start.

Of course I probably won't need any of it

Screenwash mix - better than just water for getting rid of bugs etc. 5 litres is too much tho, although I remember Doug Foreman in Italy buying 5 litres (mind you he thought it was antifreeze ;D).

Antifreeze/water mix - I don't want to carry just water as I want to keep the antifreeze/corrosion inhibor level up. Running water only does no good to the alloy head :-/
I also don't want to just chuck neat antifreeze in either.

I need two types of gear oil too - ATF for the gearbox and EP80/90 for the diff.

Carrying 5 litres of oil etc does let me help out other people on the run though - as I did last time

No doubt I'll scale back the quantities by the time I get to the start.

Of course I probably won't need any of it

Not so sure about that actually Don. I think that in some countries they won't sell gear oil for example due to environmental concerns - you know, home mechanics will spill it on their drives whereas mechanics operate in a clinical environment with oil collectiona nd recycling facilites  ::)

Archived