TR Trackday 28th June

Clive

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, it certainly was wet.....

........But it didn't actually matter all that much and probably meant that the car took less of a beating than it might have done.  Though with almost 100 miles on the track it did have rather a trying day!

The newish Falken SN832 tyres were bloody brilliant and we seemed to have more grip than most (or maybe just less power!) meaning we could hound more powerful vehicles though the twisties.

I was also somewhat surprised how well the Vitesse handled on track given it's only ever been intended as a road car.  It also pulls very well indeed between 3,000 and 5,500 but wasn't much interested in pulling beyond that for some reason, even though it should keep going for at least another 1000 rpm.  Will have to look into that.  There were some oil temperature issues (inferred by scary low oil pressures at times) and the brakes were pretty much done at the end, though this was just the rears wearing down and filling the drums with dust - the current set of shoes are particularly poor.

Young Jones got his first taste of power (ish) with the Vitesse having close to double the power of his Spitfire.  Considering it was the first time he'd driven the car at all, never mind on the track in soaking wet conditions, it didn't take him long to get to grips with it, leaving me to dig my claws in and hang on.  Only one minor sideways moment, quickly collected (that was oversteer young man....).  To the TR4 driver who "fell off" the track trying to stay ahead of him, convinced he must be able to go faster than us, my apologies, though if you'd let him through as we'd all been briefed to do, you wouldn't have got all covered in grass!  And yes, it's a 2L, not a 2.5.......

Great fun day, helped enormously by the friendly atmosphere and light touch management.  Thoroughly recommended.  Will do it again.

Nick

• 4 months later...