Cylinder head condition...?

Alex

Ok I've pulled my head off with suspected valve seat recession as I keep having to adjust the valves....about every 300 miles.
What am I looking for to confirm?
One exhaust valve is very white and one a little bit(1&2)the others are black.
I can push number one down easily and pull the valve about with one hand.

I've also found that one of the followers is very pitted and more than one other has little indents in the edges so not fully circular.....is this normal?

What else can/should I be checking?
oh and cant spend loads of money so should I just whack on the replacement head and plead ignorant?

Thanks
Alex

I would say your main problem is worn camshaft and followers. Had the same on my Spit 1300, most of the followers looked like the surface of the moon and the cam was completely worn out. You need to replace can AND followers, this is where your valve clatter is coming from.
Just about every head I have removed showed different colours on different valves.

Alex wrote:
They do appear to be deeper on one and two by about half the thickness?....

Hopefully some one will soon answer your question and might give you a bit more to go on and give you more help by telling you or has a photo I am sorry I can't help you I wish I could; :)

James try and be a bit more helpful and explain as it is not always so clear to everyone what to look for as it clearly is so easy for you to spot a problem. :B

Alex wrote:
They do appear to be deeper on one and two by about half the thickness?....

That'll be it then — were there any specific cylinders you were adjusting more?

The valves on my Mk1 head were recessed in to the head to the point they were well above the chamber.

Alex wrote:
Ok I've pulled my head off with suspected valve seat recession as I keep having to adjust the valves....about every 300 miles.

This seems to indicate a lean mixture from the front carburetter. I

can push number one down easily and pull the valve about with one hand.

This indicates a weak valve spring and a worn valve guide.

I've also found that one of the followers is very pitted and more than one other has little indents in the edges so not fully circular.....is this normal?

None of this is normal. The pitted flollower has probably gone through the hard facing and will have to be renewed in all liklihood the camshaft has also been damaged and should be renewed.

oh and cant spend loads of money so should I just whack on the replacement head and plead ignorant?

If you already have the replacement head; I think you would be well advised to look to the camshaft and followers.

All the best,
                                                                 Paul

Thanks
Alex

This seems to indicate a lean mixture from the front carburetter. I

can push number one down easily and pull the valve about with one hand.

This indicates a weak valve spring and a worn valve guide.

None of this is normal. The pitted flollower has probably gone through the hard facing and will have to be renewed in all liklihood the camshaft has also been damaged and should be renewed.

If you already have the replacement head; I think you would be well advised to look to the camshaft and followers.

All the best,
                                                                 Paul

Now that's what you call helpful info the sort this club is best at well done  ;)

(clap)

Alex wrote:
Ok time to look stupid again....my car has had enjoying rattle.I thought it was pinking but could this have been cam rattle?
Itdidnt do it under load more at mid throttle.....

Alex,
Too many unknowns to give a definite answer. The one thing that seems to be excluded is excessive valve clearance. Big ends, gudgeon pins, slack timing chain, mechanical fuel pump cam wear all are possibilities, or you may have been right in thinking it was pinking. Pinking is usually worst under load at low engine speeds.
                                                            All the best,
                                                            Paul

Archived