Girling Master Cylinder cap options..

Ben Hutchings

Hi, I'm fed up with my alloy brake master cylinder cap bonding itself to the MC body so solidly that I end up denting the thing getting it off. Can anyone tell me if plastic caps are available, or would that require a change of MC?

Right now thing thing is so stuck that I think I'll snap the MC off the pedestal trying to remove it. I plan to get one of those old ladies jamjar top removers from the kitchen shop tomorrow and try that. If it fails I think I'll take the angle grinder to it! :)

Cheers Wolf, yea I tried that a while ago, should have said so in my post. I thought that fluid was leaking down the thread and drying out, so I replaced the rubber seal, but this doesnt seem to have fixed it. I know this sounds like a small issue but right now I have spongy breaks and a totally welded on cap! I think I'll have to order a new one and hack the old one off with a drift and hammer.

Just thinking off the top of my head, what about copper slip.  Since you have had problems with Vaseline I will need to change, since now I have got things sorted I don't check as often as I used to.

I would be carefull with which things I used un the reservoir. Don't risk polluting the brakefluid.  I usually grease the trhreads with the red stuff that comes with brake rebuild kits. Never had a problem.

Cheers
Nick

My new master cylinder also came with a plastic reservior. Pretty sure it's Girling... I have the same problem on my Landrover. It's a real pain...

Nick B's solution sounds like a good plan. I might even have some of that grease lying about!

P.S. Sorry, poor picture you'll find it bigger here
http://more-power.co.uk/photos/andys_spitfire/images/393/original.aspx
You can see that the clutch cylinder also came with a plastic top.

Oh well it was worth a try but the thing didnt budge with boiling water, or when I put an oil filter removal strap on it. I'll order up an alloy one and cut/happer/drill the old one off.

If anyone finds a plastic cap (for the large MC's, not like the one valencia1 posted, please PM me. Cheers!

I think the plastic extension was fitted to cars with disc brakes. When the pads wear the fluid level drops faster than on cars with drums all round. Unfortunately the plastic extension isn't all that well sealed to the alloy body, so fluid can seep out and eventually strip paint off the bulkhead. A larger capacity, all alloy master cylinder is a good upgrade.

Nick

It seems like you should be able to heat that monkey up enough to get it loose.

Have you tried using a heat gun on the cap?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200328563_200328563

They're cheap, & useful to have around.  I use mine mostly for various electrical jobs:  splices, etc. are covered with heat shrink,able tubing which is shrunk into place with the heat gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived