Fibre Glass Panels!

Spitfire1500

Hey everyone,

This is just a general question about fibreglass panels.

At the moment, I have a fibre glass boot lid, fibre glass front 1/4 valances, fibre glass doors (still to pick up).

How much roughly will I expect my car to be devalued by having these? I'm keeping all my current steel panels these replace (well, apart from the steel valances which actually had large pieces missing!) so I can recondition them myself.

Also, where is the best place to find a fibre-glass bonnet assembly - most importantly, one that is ready to fit on a MK4/1500 which won't require me to change my 1/4 valances for an earlier one and I can have delivered? How much of a negative impact will this also have on my cars value?

I am not intent on selling it for a long while but is there anyone else on here who uses fibre-glass panels?

Thanks,

David

I reckon it all depends on the quality of the panels. I dont think the value is going to be massivly affected by 'glass quater valances or a bootlid. Some of the bonnets though are horrific quality and fit badly, are finished terribly and crack easily. Likewise some bootlids are so badly made you can see the reinforcing structure from the outside.

On a car like DS's where the bonnet and doors are excellently made it may even add value. On a less perfect car it'll just look like you couldn't afford a new steel bonnet and just slapped any old GRP stuff on.

Cheers for the help everyone!

Its a great shame I'm not in a position to pick that bonnet listed there up!

But that is the kind of thing I'm looking to purchase.

So far I guess I have been pretty luck with panels. My 1/4 valances fitted all right and my boot lid fits all right. They're pretty solid too and not translucent.  I'm not sure if my doors will be a perfect fit, but I'll find out when I pick them up, eventually!

David

[quote by=Dicky_Blighter link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1177587899,s=5 date=1177591871]I have fibre glass valances and bootlid - both good quality, I'm sure the boot lids heavier than a steel one as it's so thick :)

If you haven't already fitted the valances you will need to put a ground wire on the indicator unit.[/quote]

You're right - the boot lid is so thick! But I'm glad I have fitted it now, but I still need to paint it the right colour!

I don't think my indicator units have been grounded yet! I'll get some electrical wire from my local electronics shop in the next few days and sort out a ground.

David

Dave what is going on with your car mate, all you have to do is chuck a block init.

David, fiberglass or not
I wouldn't want fiberglass panels on me car unless the panels were lighter and I was doing a racer.
Ok less rust but also less original, not as strong, probably not fixed as well as welded steel, less protection in a pile up, and the great thing about a classic compared to a modern car imo is it's made of steel instead of plastic.
Not sure whether fiberglass panels reduce the value of a car when selling but you might find less buyers for it if you tell them it has fiberglass panels. Personally I wouldn't buy a classic car if it was advertised as having fiberglass panels and would be pissed if I found out it did later and wasn't told when buying. Mind you same goes when buying car with steel panels that have rotted throguh without being told, and there might be others who see fibreglass as a bonus and would rather have fiberglass than steel because of less rust probs or others who are not bothered which.

[quote by=Mac link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1177587899,s=19 date=1177676453]Dave what is going on with your car mate, all you have to do is chuck a block init.

David, fiberglass or not
I wouldn't want fiberglass panels on me car unless the panels were lighter and I was doing a racer.
Ok less rust but also less original, not as strong, probably not fixed as well as welded steel, less protection in a pile up, and the great thing about a classic compared to a modern car imo is it's made of steel instead of plastic.
Not sure whether fiberglass panels reduce the value of a car when selling but you might find less buyers for it if you tell them it has fiberglass panels. Personally I wouldn't buy a classic car if it was advertised as having fiberglass panels and would be pissed if I found out it did later and wasn't told when buying. Mind you same goes when buying car with steel panels that have rotted throguh without being told, and there might be others who see fibreglass as a bonus and would rather have fiberglass than steel because of less rust probs or others who are not bothered which.[/quote]

Some fair points there. I'm going to be posting some pictures over the next few days of the damage to my panels. My reasoning behind the fiibre glass replacements is mainly cost.

At the moment, it looks like my rear wings, lamp unit, front wings, front arches, front corner plates all need replacing. My rear panels are going to be replaced for steel ones but replacing my bonnet panels is going to prove very expensive - around £320, excluding any welding bills or any labour costs that I'll accrue as they are being fitted to my bonnet top panel.

My boot lid is fibre glass as I couldn't justify spending £300-£400 on a steel one, my front 1/4 valances are fibreglass not for cost reasons (theres not that much difference) but due to the batterring valances get from the road and my doors are fibre-glass as I couldn't justify the money for steel ones at the time.

I don't earn that much money, I only have one car - the Spitfire which will become my daily driver...and may be one day I will be able to afford steel panels but not at the moment.

David

i dont see to much wrong with FG panels aslong as you get them to fit ok, bootlid doors, wings etc, will last a lot longer and take it to a 'proper' paint shop and you wont notice the difference unless you tad it i guess. + they lighter. iv always been abit unsure about bonnets though, because they are so big and 'flex' when opening and closing iv seen quite a few pics of them with the spider web cracking etc, never seen FG bonnets in the flesh though, always fancied one like daves/similer. and if had dosh would have it made by the same people. i guess its just down to the quality of it at the end of the day..................maybe gas bonnet struts would help to stop the crazing/spider webbing?

David, I bet you don't need to replace half the panels that you think you do. ost pictures up by all means so others can advise you. Very few panels can be that far gone so as to cause an MOT failure. Certainly it is nice to get rid of rust and make it all look good. There are certain points that are failures where rust that is too close to chassis mounting points or seatbelt anchor points will result in failure.

I would try to get the car MOTed as is and then perform a rolling retsoration cleaning up panels and respraying as you go. I have areas of rust on my car and am going to just that. Cosmetic issues and for longevity of the car. It is quite amazing what can be salvaged and the cost of a drill and wire brush, rust treatment, and aerosol zinc primer and some reasonable matched top coat will not put that much of a dent in the bank balance.

I may be wrong here as I have not seen your car in the flesh but I imagine it needs a fair amount of effort and sanding down prepping (etc). I have no intention of replacing any of the panels on mine as they are sound just cosmetically challenged, Start from that basis and only replace what is too far gone. You may save a fiar amount of money this way.

Get the car sorted then start to tart it up with paint, wheels, panels (where necessary) as you go along. New wheels are not needed especailly when money is tight. Get the car to the MOT station when you think it is road-worthy and take it from there. Set yourself a time limit to get the problems fixed and go for a retest.

You need to focus on what the car needs to get it on the road and then concern yourself with aesthetics.

Best of luck, Neil

Neil is spot on there.  There are some panels on my car that don't stand up to close inspection but I'll be having a go myself first before resorting to new panels - steel or fibre glass.  You could easily spend more than you paid for the car without it being necessary.  Much better to get road worthy and MOTd before you splash out.

Phil

[quote by=Spitfire1500 link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1177587899,s=3 date=1177589410]

Its a great shame I'm not in a position to pick that bonnet listed there up![/quote]*sigh*

Welcome to a taster of my world...

[quote by=Mac link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1177587899,s=25 date=1177701490]David, totally agree with Neil. Replace a panel if it's rotten, big holes init.
;-)

Let's see some pics mate
[/quote]

I made a new thread - Bodywork! which might still be on the first page...that shows most of my bad panels, but a few escaped my camera!

David

Archived