Tim Bancroft

Interesting caption and article in Track and Race Car magazine this month.

The magazine took independent readings whilst at CC the other month, they were testing a FF Spectrum race car and found that CC noise tested the car at 102db, the owners of the car had their own meter with them and found theirs said 97.7db, blimey 5db.

Also it seems that some disagreement was encountered at what revs a car should be tested, CC test at 4,500 rpm, TRC and the Spectrum team feel it should be at 3/4 the max revs, therefore our (road) cars should be tested at 4,100rpm assuming a rev limit of 5,500rpm.

Some cynics amongst us at the last TD at CC feet that the whole noise testing scenario at CC is decidely iffy.

A company selling bolt on silencers is situated at Castle Combe.

davesideways wrote:
Problem is Tim.

They stuff the probe right in the exhaust. I have seen them. About 3inches and nearly in the gas flow

Should be measured at right angles from like 1 metre away.

I have some interesting tricks with my side exit to piss them off.

I agree totally with you on this, they do indeed stick it in the exhaust, which is not right. :(

During my three trips to see the sound men at Combe back in July, I didn't think it was a probe at all?

To me it looked just like a measuring stick, something like an old car aerial to ensure the microphone on top on the sound meter was a metre away. The sound meter itself had a foam mic cover on the top, a bit like the ones listed here.

http://www.firststopsafety.co.uk/mall/departmentpage.cfm/?store=TeleProductsLtd&did=46935&productpage=1&sdpage=1&Selected_TopicID=46935

In which case they are probably doing it almost right.

Not sure why I'm sticking up for them though, they got another silencer sale out of me. :-)

Russell.

Archived