Mad Mart

What tyres do you use for Track Days?

I've been using Yoko 032s on my Dolly Sprint which are excellent but now they are finished I need to get a new set. I've been reading good things about the Toyo R888s which seem to be good in the wet as well as on a dry track. I've also been looking at the Yoko 048s, anyone been using these? Anyone have any other recommendations?

I'm running 6x13 wheels with 185/60/13 tyres. I'd like to go for something a bit wider but I'm pretty sure I can't, not without flaring the arches.

Many of the racers switched from 32s to 48s over the last couple of seasons and from what I've heard they are different but not necessarily any worse. The main difference seems to be that they are a much softer compound (i.e. a "soft" grade A032 is not the same as a "soft" grade A048 ) so different tyre pressures are needed.

Having said that, I've not had to change yet and a Dolomite might behave differently to a Spitfire...

jcarruthers wrote:
I don't really understand the idea of trackday tyres - you're not racing...

??) ??) How about a bit of safety instead of sliding off, I used some Falken tyres once and gave 2Toledos a spin round Combe YRRRRG it was like driving on ice, no fun whatsoever, who the hell wants to go slow on a race track?

99176 wrote:
£26 pound is the most I pay for anything cheap and expendable.
Not much grip but sooooooooo much fun.

Yes and you gave my mini missus a fun time in it too :D

Yep I get mine from Ebay the set on the car now were bought 3 years ago for the huge sum of £40 so a tenner each och ay its a bargin.
The set waiting were bought a year ago for £85 so not as good a bargain but not bad.

Let no one ever accuse me of having money.

If you're sliding off then that sounds a bit dangerous - my Spit never did that and I had boring 145 tyres on... and I wasn't driving slowly...

Fast is a state of mind - you can go fast on any tyre - it's all relative to yourself on a track day. You're not timing and you're not racing others :)

Keith - fireproof slippers sound a great idea - great for "senior" moments or in the garage... (not that I'm saying you have senior moments!)

jcarruthers wrote:
Fast is a state of mind - you can go fast on any tyre - it's all relative to yourself on a track day. You're not timing and you're not racing others :)

But you can go much fastER on semi slicks, possibly the cheapest performance upgrade you can do. In my first season of racing I went from a set of road Yokos to A032 and found 5 seconds a lap straight away.

As an experienced user of Yokos:-

A048s are as fast, as if not faster than the A032s. They do take longer to warm up than the 32 (upto 2 laps instead of upto 1) but once warm will stay on form for longer because they have the solid central band that the 32s did not have. 48’s also do seem to last longer overall. Wet weather performance is similar.

Both types are predictable in their handling and do not snap away when they do eventually let go.

I run medium compound on my 600kg spitfire with good results, I have run the Soft compound but found these to go off quickly on hot days.

A note of caution, if you do run trackday tyres to their full potential you will be exerting greater forces on the rest of the car. (Race Spits/GT6 using sticky tyres are known to break axles, though tyres will not be the sole cause they will certainly be a contributing factor). So keep an eye out for greater fatique etc in the suspension components/mountings.

Very limited A032 sizes now available, see below.
http://www.polleysport.com/polley/catalogue_tyres_category_final.asp?manufacturer=Yokohama&category=Race

Andy

jcarruthers wrote:
If you're sliding off then that sounds a bit dangerous - my Spit never did that and I had boring 145 tyres on... and I wasn't driving slowly...

Keith - fireproof slippers sound a great idea - great for "senior" moments or in the garage... (not that I'm saying you have senior moments!)

I do not know your car James but lets just assume its standard...............then it aint fast anywhere! if its tuned, why? surely its fast enough.
I do track days for the speed that you cannot do on the road so why tune your car and limit its speed by using inferior tyres.
I drive so fast that I rip up my road tyres which I find unaccceptable, I have often used ordinary tyres such as remoulds but even a standard Sprint is capable of good lap times.
I half spun once on those Falkens (which were dangerous) and once when a blown head gasket put water on the rear tyres, apart from that I have been trackdaying in the Sprint since 1997 and now average 5 days a year.
If its your choice to skud around watching everyones boot badge for a little while until they shoot into the distance.........good luck to you, but I like hunting down more powerful machinery and going past them cos that is what I like to do, so each to their own.

Thanks for the info Andy I hope to see you race sometime, yours is quick I know that much 8)

Archived