Kenlow Fan Wiring

MarkB

Hi all
I've had a couple of kenlow fans that have been previously used on other triumphs many years ago and decided to fit one to my Vitesse I am restoring. I couldn't remember how they are wired incorporating an override switch for the odd traffic jam on a hot sunny day.

I found some instructions for one of the older fans I have and have wired up accordingly. I have fitted the Live wire to the C terminal as per the wiring diagram. A sticker on the controller says that the C terminal is for the earth? and on another controller I have a wire goes from the C terminal up to a spade on the body.

I have not tried to heat the sensor to see if it works as I am a concerned if I have wired it up correctly.

I have a separate live that runs to a switch on the dash and back from the switch to the NO terminal, and then a another from the NO terminal to the fan. The other wire from the fan goes to earth and the controler is also earthed.

The fan operates when I switch the override switch on.

Is it correct to run a Live to the C terminal when incorporating an override switch?

Thanks

Mark

Helo Danny,

there are two ways of connection, switched feed or switched earth, I suggest the picture shows it designed for switched earth. Really it makes no difference in operation but switched feed is more conventional generally. (except for horns)

Alec

• 1 year later...
Quoted from MarkB-

Hi all
I've had a couple of kenlow fans that have been previously used on other triumphs many years ago and decided to fit one to my Vitesse I am restoring. I couldn't remember how they are wired incorporating an override switch for the odd traffic jam on a hot sunny day.

I found some instructions for one of the older fans I have and have wired up accordingly. I have fitted the Live wire to the C terminal as per the wiring diagram. A sticker on the controller says that the C terminal is for the earth? and on another controller I have a wire goes from the C terminal up to a spade on the body.

I have not tried to heat the sensor to see if it works as I am a concerned if I have wired it up correctly.

I have a separate live that runs to a switch on the dash and back from the switch to the NO terminal, and then a another from the NO terminal to the fan. The other wire from the fan goes to earth and the controler is also earthed.

The fan operates when I switch the override switch on.

Is it correct to run a Live to the C terminal when incorporating an override switch?

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have exactly the same problem that you had. can you please tell me if connecting a live to the C terminal worked for the thermostat control. I have my override switch live feed connected to the NO terminal which then leads on to the fan, as you had.

I can not understand how the live feed goes to the thermostat control otherwise as the NC terminal is not used. like you, mine shows the C terminal to be the earth.

All the wiring diagrams I can find on the net include relays which are not needed on on my 1972 TR6. could you send me a copy of your wiring diagram please?

Regards.

Peter

I think we need to make sure we're all talking about the same set ups here as theres an electronic controller with a sensor that pushes into the radiator fins and the older mechanical thermostat that has a copper bulb that is fitted inside the top water hose.....

ok looking on line I think you have the mechanical type where C means common, NO normally open and NC normally closed. The 12v supply needs to go to C then when the thermostat operates (engine temperature high) the contacts will close and 12v will appear on the NO terminal. The fan should be supplied from this NO terminal using one of its connections while the other connection on the fan needs to be solidly bolted to the vehicle body somewhere. Which way round you use these connections will change the direction of rotation of the fan so  you may need to swop them over later.

Any overide switch, when operated, should take the 12v supply direct to the NO connection either on the thermostat or fan depending on which is most convenient. Obviously both the thermostat supply and overide one must be adequately fused (can be the same fuse) and the cables used correctly sized.

Hope this helps

Theres one other thing you need to decide now and thats if your going to use a permanent supply or switched. The former allows the fan to run after youve stopped and on my car limits the stationary temperature very effectively (the coolant still flows after stopping due to natural circulation) but you run the risk of the fan not stopping through thermostat failure or leaving the overide on and so flattening the battery..... 

Quoted from glang-

but you run the risk of the fan not stopping through thermostat failure or leaving the overide on and so flattening the battery..... 

Not just failure. I had one of those Kenlowe stats on my Vitesse for a while. If the coolant level got low, the bulb would heat up and operate normally when driving but after stopping the engine it stayed hot for hours even though the bulk coolant was cold by then.