Right quite alot of questions and suggestions:
1. Perth- it has been used for the last couple of runs as it offered the last chance of fuel late at night before getting to Wick where next fuel could reliably be bought. However as Edin. Airport will prob. not be used next time (management restructure is happening at present and our contacts will be leaving the Airport) Perth will be a necessary stop next time.
2. Additional stop between Stirling and Oswestry: Not a bad idea, maybe Martin R and Andy P could come up with some suggestions for me and Nigel to explore?
3.Rally Plates: Sorry James, but not sure as it starts to bring a competitive aspect into the event. Also some cars could have problems in locating a suitable position to fix, e.g GT6 mk.2 or Spit Mk.3: Centre section of bumper will obscure airflow(Important in a GT6!), sides of bumpers will obscure side light/indicator units. I do believe that on some previous RBRRs the cars did have these. However stickers in the style of your production could be an idea for the bonnet and boot. One problem is cost, we have managed to keep the cost of entering the event to £50 for some years, this time we are worried that the Club may just about break even.
4.Stickers: Yes I think that a new design could be used, however the design should be of a retro type format- modern looking stickers would look naff- except on maybe the TR7 range as these cars do look relatively modern compared with the rest of the Triumph range(I am being sincere).
5. Driver ettiquette: Not sure, e.g. Imagine that you indicate to let a car pass and then the passing cars hits an oncoming vehicle that you did not see, who's liable? Far better to maybe move over to the left and then let the passing driver make his own mind up about passing.
6. The route will be revised at some section: I have some ideas- but will not publish these until nearer the next RBRR. Important to do this as it will keep the event fresh for the regulars, of which 50% of the entered crews generally are.

I must say that I have been so pleased with the favourable comments that have been directed to me about the RBRR, all the negative ones have been entirely justified.

Of course the work on the RBRR continues as charity money has to be collected, the press has to be informed (At least 3 old car mags are very interested in the publishing some form of article about the event) and then next March's Club dinner has to be sorted.

Also the Clubs stand at the forthcoming Triumph show at Sandown Pk. Racecourse at Esher in Surrey will have a RBRR flavour as Tim Hunt's TR4 (15 RBRRs) and Nigel Gairs 2000 (10RBRRs?) will be on the stand looking like they have just finished the event- grubby with stickers still intact. Hopefully this should wind the other Triumph clubs up a tadge!
Personally I rather cars that look like they have been used, who agrees?

Is Club Triumph's battle cry 'We use them!'

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough Tim... don't get me wrong - please don't think Im whinging! I loved the event - I'd do it again this weekend if I could (well - ok... maybe in a fortnight)

As for the plates - they don't have to be >rally< plates as such... just I liked the idea of plates as you can keep them after the event....

As for grubby... check this out:

I really didnt want to take the things off - but I didnt want to take the chance of it ripping off my paint if I left it on.

I have to say from my own experience the rally plates can be a lot of hassel, mind you a friend of mine was so proud of his he screwed it to the bonnet of his Mini with self tappers :o

James if it is momentos you are after then perhaps this is something that should be kept seperate from the event and club kitty. Perhaps there is the market to get plates made up and make them only available to buy by competitors, both before and after the event. This way there is the oppotunity to have something special for the event, or take home with you and it doesn't directly effect the club, if you made profit on the stuff you could also donate a percentage to the charity.

I know as a co-driver I would have liked to take away a momento from the event but I feel it is important that the costs are kept down for the club and the maximum cash goes to charity. I would have paid extra for a t-shirt or something to take home, but I can't speak for everybody.

Oh and on the subject of etiquette I would like to appologise to the people I held up heading into Scotland and felt terrible when I pulled to one side and indicated the orange estate to come past only for him to fly through a speed trap, thankfully it was a headon camera and he didn't have a plate.

However how do you know when someone is wanting to pass and someone is just following you because they don't know the way or something? Surely if you don't want to be held up by any Triumphs just make sure you leave the checkpoints as early as poss!

Perhaps a complicated morse code system using indicators is neeeded with signals for "Pull over" "Slow down" and "Stop" is needed LOL! I am joking!

Don't change a thing Tim - it was great!
In our crew, we drove until we felt like a rest, then we swapped - whether that was at a stop or not. We filled up when we needed petrol and at every halt  where there wasn't a huge queue.
We didn't take a map and never got lost, much.
I wouldn't ever rely on the car in front to show me where to pass - I driver as if every other driver on the road is out to kill me, sometime I join in!  :o
Rally plates look nice, how about selling them to crews who want them and taking a small profit (10%) out of the sale? That profit can then be used to provide Scotch pies at all halts! Yum  :D
The only thing about the road book I'd change is to make it clear what is available where - like I had no idea food was laid on at the halts - and for a fat bloke that's improtant  :P

I think we need to stop using the word competitor!
As for the driving,I think people sould be reminded of common sense! if you see a car up your chuff make it easy for him to get past,if you think he hasnt seen you flash like riader!

I think the stickers could do with a re-vamp,but plates are a pain in the arse in my experience,if you just want a momento og the event whats wrong with the brass plaque?

And when the person is actually overtaking - let off the throttle and apply a bit of brake methinks...

Ok - so no plates... but sticker redesign is a must :) Could even have ones that look like plates but are sticky... or else they can be designed in a go-faster-stipe way to stick on the sides...

I am at present suffering from RBRR blues as I wish I was waiting for the start again at 'The Plough'.
Anyrate in a moment of sentimentality I thought it would be appropriate to say what a top bunch of people the RBRR lot are -Drivers, marshals and CT staff.
Owing to the open minded nature of everyone involved I did not receive one complaint all weekend- how good is that.

Also a huge thanks is due to Mick and Lou. Callighan and their staff at the Pub, they all helped and had a positive outlook. I arrived last Friday to see Mick up a ladder afixing a CT banner to the wall and generally running around sorting things out. I will see them on Monday night and will thank them on behalf of the Club.

Seen several mentions about 'momentos' of the run ,with regards to rally plates , are we forgetting that we get engraved tankards ,either at the dinner or sent to us.A nice enough momento i think ,and much easier to display indoors than a rally plate.As for changes to the run ,i don,t think we rearly need any ,except where forced to by the likes of the edin airport buissiness, at the end of the day it works ,and if it didn't then nutters like us wouldn't keep doing it would we!so please no changes for the sake of change.

Tim, I was actually quite surprised by how smoothly everything ran during this event. Although Blake and I were quite a bit far behind, we did not notice anything we would have changed or done differently. 

There are, however, a few things beyond your control which we would like changed.  In particular we would like to see the color codes on the fuel pumps changed and the amount of rain drastically reduced. 

With regards to the decals used, we too have the same quandary.  For the past two years, Blake has used Magnetic signs.  They are removable, replaceable signs which have a flexible magnetic backing.  They seem to work fairly well on large flat surfaces, but if they get any space or wrinkle underneath them, they will come flying off and end up as roadside rubbish. The magnetic signs are also really expensive on the order of 10 pounds each.  Blake also tried the rally plaques. These really did not work as expected.  All the issues listed in this thread. 

I mean, really, who in their right mind would ever fill up with diesel  :B
At least you realised that you had done. I heard of someone that did that and didn't even realise that's what they'd done and assumed they'd killed their car! What a fool!

Quoted from jcarruthers Andy....

Did the Targa Rustica (sp?) have a website... if I can get a copy of that typeface then I can find out exactly what it is - and get some suggestions of similar ones...

James

Go to www.hrcr.co.uk

look up tell me more on the road rally green box on the home page click on calander then scroll down to Targa Rusticana where there is a link to the web site I think there it is on there if not drop the ocford university motor club and e-mail (link there somewhere !) and ask sure they wont mind unless its covered by copyrite?
Any way I like the ones youve come up with ! lets put a few up for a vote?

Ok - got it - I want to know what that typeface is - so I shall put it to a forum I know... just out of personal interest.

Seeing as we have a whole year before the next one gets planned - I'll come up with a few more and we can decide on the final ones...

Seeing as the first one was in 1966 I might come up with a late sixties design...

I feel I've got to come up with something for the 10CR too... I've only done the stamp thing so far - but its not really a logo... (http://club.triumph.org.uk/10CR/)

Archived