Anyone know if McJim & Co made it to the Plough last night?  They were moving when last seen, but that was J27 of the M5 which is still some way off.......

Pretty sure his problems were mostly another example of the dire quality of new 6 cyl rotor arms for Lucas distributors.  Those black ones with the rivet are utter shite regardless of what colour box they come out of - too tight on the shaft and many crack the first time they get hot!  Buy the red ones - buy at least 2 and carry them with you!

Nick

Team 5
Jim McGuiness/David Huddy
Green GT6 Mk3
3rd October 2010 10:25pm

Reached the Plough at 9:30. Just won the pub quiz. Big thanks to Tim and team for a superb event. Bude was outstanding as a new stop.  

copied over from rbrr messageboard  ;)

Yes, Nick, made it home.

Car back to running like - well rubbish really.

Now thinking either the electronic ignition pack or - and this we didn't think of till today - overheating.

The temperature gauge is a born liar but we've never had any overheating issues before - in fact the car has always run kind of cool for a GT6.

It finally expired as it entered the garage but the amazing little car got us round to our goal , a finish at the Plough.

There was no way we weren't going to make it even if we had to push it back to London.

In fact, we made the 245 miles to the finish in under 3 and a half hours despite heavy traffic in places.

So thanks again Nick for your help and I hope you've found someone who'll take that funny Scottish money that I unloaded on you! ;)

The whole weekend was a "Boys Own", "Jolly Boys Outing" as far as we were concerned.

We had loads of adventures along the way, far too many to put down here.

We met loads of totally amazing guys who dropped everything to help us, Dave Landrick, James Shackford, Paul Boddiam, a couple of guys (Andy and his co-driver, I'll work out who they were later), the guy in the white Spitfire who gave us a piece of fuel tubing when ours wasn't the right size, all the folk who stopped and offered help when we were stuck in the middle of Dartmoor and yourself, Nick and your mate, whose name I didn't catch (sleep deprivation to blame) to round off a comprehensive list.

It say so much about the fantastic people in this club.

But, in my opinion, the guy to top them all is Tim Bancroft, who, with his team, put on a cracking event and even though we had our problems, we refused to ever give up and enjoyed every second of our Jolly Boys Outing.

The GT6 will be sorted and up for sale soon.

I was going to live without a Triumph for the forseeable future but after talking to Paul Darbyshire at Lancaster and Andrew and Sarah Johnson at the hotel we stayed at after the RBRR, a SD1 engined Stag seems a very interesting prospect.

Loved the RBRR and love this Club.

Thank you everyone.

Jim.

Archived