Rear spring too high

Baxter

What is happening here? 

GT6 mk1, swing spring conversion by PO. Is there a problem with how the spring is mounted on the diff, or the diff to the chassis, or is the body perhaps not mounted correctly on the chassis? 

I'll try to see what it looks like from below and take some photos

B

To start with bolts have been used in place of the correct studs, part 131008. Sometimes an aluminium spacer block is used underneath the spring to raise it from the diff in order to lower the rear ride height of the car. If you have this then longer studs maybe needed and might explain why its been bodged with bolts...

Thanks chaps. Turns out there is one massive home-made lowering block under there.

I'll swap it out for a 1/2" block I have spare, and buy the correct studs. Hopefully with the smaller block the pivot box and protruding studs will come down below the access cover plate.

oooh thats not very nice! The alloy blocks are only about 20 quid so I hope its not an indication of any other 'fixes' that might have been done on the car😳 If you use a 1/2" item the standard studs should still be long enough and also guarantee that the cover will fit....

Cheers glang! I used a 1/2" alloy block and standard studs on my Vitesse and all fitted fine...eventually. It was fiddly getting everything lined-up, as the block was a very tight fit into the groove on top of the diff.

You make a good point about 'fixes' and I've had to source or replace quite a few parts since taking on the half-completed project. Fortunately there's now very little left on the car that I've not worked on.

Yes they dont need to be that tight in the diff - best to file a bit off...

One thing though is I wonder if the swing spring made the car sit high and thats why such a large lowering block was fitted? I know spring curves, tensions and blade numbers are different for different models....

I think the PO was after a very low car - I struggle to get my low-profile trolley jack under it, back or front. I'll compare the spring profile with new and old ones from my recent upgrade on my Vitesse before deciding if it's okay to re-use and if I need the lowering block, as these springs seem to sag after a while.

Actually, I'll postpone this job while I finish the rebuild on the rest of the car, and then try it in lowered mode while road testing. The front springs will need replacing once I raise the back, and maybe the dampers too. More important things to press on with now I'm reassured there's probably no major problem causing the rear spring to sit so high.

BTW thanks for your advice to file a bit off the lowering block. I tapped the last one in with a rubber mallet and regretted it.