Improvements - Datsun Driveshafts

Russell

In preparation for the 10CR, I’ve decided to enter a phase of gradual improvements on my MKII estate. Earlier in the month I bought a set of adapted Datsun drive-shafts and last Sunday fitted them. Only had a chance to take it on a quick 5 mile blast, but what a difference. None of that horrible delayed lurching when taking a roundabout at speed and no squirm when changing gear on a sweeping bend.

I know my old ones probably would have benefited from a shot of grease, but hopefully these are fit and forget.

Pics are below, although they’re not the most glamorous of subjects to photo – neither is the underside of my car.

Next on the list, sort the appalling handbrake ...

Mine came off eBay, there's a chap that gets a set made up every now and again. They have larger UJs with grease nipples.

Monarch Stags do them as well. More expensive, but they come with fully reconditioned hubs.

Chris Witor used to supply them, but they seemed to have dropped off his price list now.

These are such a good investment.

My car, 2000 mk11 saloon, originally had caravan rear spring assisted shocks and suffered because of the ride height.

1 inch lower uprated springs and adjustable shocks were fitted and gave a considerable improvement but still not as good a standard as i expected.

I purchased and fitted these roller bearing drive shafts and the whole car was transformed, it is now a well behaved sophisticated vehicle with no twitching, clonking or unwanted unpredictability. :)

Not all cars suffer from bad spline lock, so might not suit everybody, but they get my vote everytime.

Des.

RussellBanyard wrote:
Mine came off eBay, there's a chap that gets a set made up every now and again. They have larger UJs with grease nipples.

Monarch Stags do them as well. More expensive, but they come with fully reconditioned hubs.

Chris Witor used to supply them, but they seemed to have dropped off his price list now.

Chris explained to me that the problem is finding good s/h hubs to re-condition - he just doesn't have time to pull enough old shafts apart to find the few that are good enough to re-build.  It's a great shame - I have one set that greatly improved my car and would like some more machined up but didn't know anyone else did the work.  Do you have the name of the guy on ebay?

MarkDeTriomphe wrote:

Chris explained to me that the problem is finding good s/h hubs to re-condition - he just doesn't have time to pull enough old shafts apart to find the few that are good enough to re-build.  It's a great shame - I have one set that greatly improved my car and would like some more machined up but didn't know anyone else did the work.  Do you have the name of the guy on ebay?

He's tony_h123 on eBay. I've PM'd you with his details.

Russell.

GT6_User_and_Abuser wrote:
could the shaft not be shortened by an inch?

Don't know, they're a pain to dismantle. Actually they are on the limit with MKII trailing arms. I have heard reports of the pressed in shields at the back being pushed at extreme articulation.

You could ask CW? I just went to the wider track, fills the wheel arches out nicely. :)

Richard_B wrote:

Don't know, they're a pain to dismantle. Actually they are on the limit with MKII trailing arms. I have heard reports of the pressed in shields at the back being pushed at extreme articulation.

I don't even think it's extreme articulation. I have a pair where this shield has just fallen out and am wondering about having a groove machined to take a circlip to hold it in.  

There are some Datsun shafts where the shield is more securely located (CW pointed this out on some he had imported from Aus).  The pressed in shields are just not as good.

Hi,

Been away for Christmas, so haven't been on the forum for a while - the e-bay supplier is me (Tony Hosker) not Tony Hart.

Glad you liked them - I couldn't believe the difference on my Stag.

Also yes they can be shortened but it involves quite a bit of work - not for the faint hearted:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/construction%20page-23.html

Tony

I'll need to check but I think I've got two sets available at £300 + £15 p&p.  I'd need your old shafts returning after fitting on an exchange basis.  The shafts are stripped, cleaned, any missing spacers replaced, re-greased then built up with new japanese (GMB brand) ujs.  I'd advise against it but if this is an issue I can strip and rebuild the hubs at additional cost and don't worry i don't use a press so no bent flanges.

I'll be spending this weekend in the workshop so they'll be on e-bay within the next week or so if you're not interested - if you'd like to find out more my e-mail is tony@interactive-learning.info.

Finally, it wasn't me with the angle grinder and the lathe merely an article I found on the web - although it's a very resourceful approach I wouldn't be comfortable with it...

Tony

roger_keys wrote:
If i could find someone to do CV equipped driveshafts .... .

Try here -

http://www.tr-nord.de/portal/alias__Rainbow/lang__de/tabID__79/DesktopDefault.aspx

Thorsten (Sorry, I don't know his full name) had some made the right length for a MKII saloon/estate - I think he said a small batch had been made but they were beyond my budget  :(

Archived