Phil R

I was just looking into the options and costs of fitting a limit slip diff and came across this

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/phantomgrip-triumph.html

from Traction Concepts in the states for $329  
Has anybody had anybody ever used one ?
Looks like a very simple option

The benefits of a decent LSD or ATB diff with that kind of power is that you'll get the power down much better compared with an open diff.
So I think fitting a proper LSD or ATB diff is a good investment if you are a spirited driver. But not cheap.

4613 wrote:
... they seem very popular state side and have a huge product range ...

Lack of corners springs to mind   ;)  :P

4613 wrote:
My garage mates recon you could pick up a Mazda or similar unit cheaply and get someone like North West Props machine it or makeup adapters , this may be a lot cheaper alternative but sounds like a lot of work
But could be a winter project

Adaptors for what? the drive flange?

You will need to replace the full axle, mount it, change your wheels or have the drive flanges machined and prop adaptor made then plumb the brakes & Handbrake.

The Actual LSD unit from the internals of a mazda unit will not fit into the TR7 Axle if that is what you mean, it will not be cheaper than buying a Gripper or Quaife Unit off the shelf.

• 1 month later...

beans wrote:
You could adapt and fit a complete back axle from another car, that's fitted with a LSD as standard.
Might be feasible, but a fair amount of work. And as Benzo already stated it might well be cheaper to just fit an of shelf unit in your current axle.

Nissan Skyline and HSV axles are popular fitments over here. As Beans says, you have to get all the correct mounting points/brackets etc welded on.

I have the Nissan Skyline complete rear end in the 8.

This is exactly the same unit as the Holden unit, but is narrower, & will fit without cutting down in length. I had the brackets off a spare TR7 diff cut off, & welded to this diff, & fitted a complete new centre at the time.

It cost me about $3000, & has completely transformed the handling of the 8. With over 300 BHP it does require driving properly, as the traction can simply push the front off the road if you try to play the slow in & floor it technique. With the power, it had to be strong too.

Designed for a much heavier much more powerful car, it should be a fit & forget instillation in the 8.