rotten herald

Is that a typo? The 2L wasn't introduced until 1967, all models up until then would have been Vitesse 6, ie 1600cc with the 4.11:1 diff. I've got one of the correct type lurking here somewhere, no idea if it's any good though as it came out of a part dismantled chassis I acquired a while back.
Cheers,
Bill.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but a quick question...

My 1971 Herald 13/60 has a 1978 Spitfire 1500 engine and maybe gearbox(I must ask...) in it - is my top speed limited to 50mph because of a diff mismatch?  Or do I just need to fit an overdrive?

Thanks

If you're genuinely doing 6500rpm at 50mph in top gear, that would mean your diff ratio is around 8:1 - pretty unlikely given the ratios produced by Standard Triumph in this carrier.
I would suggest verifying your instruments and finding where the error (or more likely, errors!) lie(s).
Cheers,
Bill.

50 mph in my Herald 13/60 was uncomfortable with standard drive train - a single rail all synchro J type overdrive gearbox sorted that and now it's a different car. The motorway is inviting and not so scary now :-)

3.63:1 is OK with a 2L or 1500, but you wouldn't want one with any of the smaller engines. The 4.11:1 is ideal for the 1147 and 1296, particularly the revvy GE/FD units. An overdrive is the best solution to relaxed cruising, with diff changes you are always compromising between relaxed cruising and acceleration,
Cheers,
Bill.

• 2 months later...

are the diffs different between the 1200 and the 13/60? i am running a mk4 spit engine in a 1200 but have read somewhere about quarter shafts braking with 60hp and i am lead to believe the spit enging as standard was/is 75hp,
Thinking about an overdrive as my box is trying to expire or buying a cheap engine from e-bay and rebuilding it with balenced components and cosworth bolts giving a higher safe rpm limit

The diff ratio is the same, but you are correct that thicker output shafts were used on the 13/60. This was commonised on late  production 1200s. There is a number stamped on the underside of the nose piece of the diff. This will tell you which type you have, though it's likely to be smothered in black goo! Prompt me with the number and I'll check my records  to see if it's before or after the change point.
Cheers,
Bill.

GE all have big shafts, GA upto around GA23xxx have small shafts, thereafter commonised with GE (13/60). I'll dig out the exact number after the weekend, but I'm in the middle of last minute sorting out for the Duxford show tomorrow.
Easies way to swap diffs is to disconnect the 3 flanges and 4 mounting bolts, and replace the entire assembly. Internally there are more differeences than are worth while dealing with.
Cheers,
Bill.

Archived