Diff pin,  Where can I get one?!

AdamSindrey

My Dolomite Sprints diff pin (the one that holds the two small gears in the centre of the diff) has broke...  I need another one,  been looking around with out any luck yet...  Getting fed up of the thing just sitting there on axle stands all becuase of this 3 inch piece of metal!

I thought the Dolomite Sprint diff was very similar, if not the same as the bigger Triumphs;  Stags,  TRs,  Big Saloons....     If this is right,  then where can I get a diff pin from?  

Please Help!   Ad

AdamSindrey wrote:
If I had the money I would!     Is welding the diff solid a sensible substitute?    ;D

Not really...... makes for very odd handling! Would be very unpleasant as a road car esp. in UK conditions.

Are you sure you have a Sprint axle? - 'cos they don't usually break whereas an 1850 axle with a Sprint engine would probably break often!  If the diff assembly loads in from the front of the casing it's an 1850 one.  The Sprint one is completely different (Salisbury type) and is built directly into the axle housing so to change the diff you have to build one up into the casing which really means taking the whole axle out - and from your description you are not doing this?

Nick

Ok, Just checking - no offence meant ;).  Not doubting you can change the cross pin without dismantling the diff, but your original post about the two planet gears falling out and getting munched by the CWP was making things sound a bit terminal!

On the roll-pin thing, one trick is to use two, one inside the other.  The first needs to be a (very) tight fit in the diff carrier and the second a tight fit inside the first.  Bit less drastic than welding!

Only diff pin I've ever busted was in a Herald 1200 - with tuned 1500 during an autotest.  My Sprint one tooks loads of abuse (including autotests)without complaint.

Nick

A friend of mine used to hillclimb a Pilbeam single seater with a fairly angry V8.  He discovered that he actually broke fewer driveshafts if he really hooned it off the line with lots of wheel spin (we are talking monstrous slicks here).  If he was less violent he risked it bogging and every time it bogged it broke (shattered!) a CV joint......

Nick

Archived