Matt306

Hi whilst taking the Herald 13/60 up and down the the lane at the back of mine (max 2nd gear) i notice when i lift off the throttle a whine, almost a knocking. I know I replaced UJ and had the prop balanced with new UJ.   The outer Differential bearings and oil seals were also replaced.

Any ideas?

You need to in top really to be sure you're not hearing whine from 2nd gear.
Could be the diff, if it's quiet on the drive side and just a slight whine on the overrun then I wouldn't worry too much. If it's knocking then that's something else!
The pre-load on the pinion bearings tends to go as they wear but that can be restored by re-shimming. If you can feel any play at all in the pinion then they are well worn.

Keith

Keith wrote:
You need to in top really to be sure you're not hearing whine from 2nd gear.
Could be the diff, if it's quiet on the drive side and just a slight whine on the overrun then I wouldn't worry too much. If it's knocking then that's something else!
The pre-load on the pinion bearings tends to go as they wear but that can be restored by re-shimming. If you can feel any play at all in the pinion then they are well worn.

Keith

in terms of play i have the diff installed ATM, do you mean twist prop, in which case I have some play turning back and forth with wheels on ground. In terms of pushing pinion in and out its difficult to say with prop installed, or i don't know the technique

" In terms of pushing pinion in and out its difficult to say "

Lateral play in pinion is what you look for.  The minutest movement means the the bearings are too loose or worn.
With a shim adjusted pinion bearing set-up it is safe to re-torque the pinion nut as a first step (even if you cannot detect any movement).
You have to hold the flange whilst tightening the nut. Two bits of metal about 18" long bolted loosely together at one end and holes in  the other ends for bolting firmly to the flange will give a good handle to torque against.

2487 wrote:
Read that doesn't really help as my noise is happening when i lift off.

I have just rebuilt my gearbox (first for me) and have a buzzing when I lift off in third (I was hoping that it was because it needed bedding in, it has improved  but I am quessing that it has something to do with the thrust washers. I replaced the layshaft thrust washers but figured that those between the gears would be okay as the gearbox was not bad just, had weak syncro  on 3rd. Looks like I will have to pull the gearbox out and investigate further.  :(
The reason I offered the loan of a diff was to narrow down the fault to the box or the diff, I also have a couple of props too. I know swapping diffs and gearboxes can be a pain, especially if you don't find the fault but the effort is worth it, once you have located the fault.