Calorian

Same post as on the 2000 Forum for those that don't read it, although it is for a 1850 HL

""Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between overdrive clutch slip and plain old "ordinary" clutch slip?

The problem appears to be most noticeable when pulling away from stationary in 1st then changing into 2nd gear, although it does also slip in 3rd if you are heavy with your foot. The clutch slip is worse the harder you press the accelerator and less if you ease off the accelerator slightly.

I was told that this was overdrive clutch slip but I'm not convinced. This is happening when overdrive isn't engaged (it doesn't engage in 1st & 2nd gear in any case) and seems no be no worse when the overdrive is engaged than when it is not.

Once up to speed in 3rd or 4th gear, the overdrive can be switched in / out and can be heard and felt to be engaging / disengaging properly. If you engage overdrive when climbing a steepish hill in 3rd gear however, then the clutch will slip for a few seconds before returning to normal.

So my thinking is that this maybe isn't overdrive clutch slip at all but just ordinary clutch slip. Anyone have any input on this one?""

Cheers
Garreth

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We took the Dolomite for it's MOT on Saturday last, which it fortunately passed without a hitch. This also gave a good opportunity to test if replacing the overdrive UDC had actually fixed the clutch-slip problems. It has.

The clutch-slip problems under high torque conditions no longer occur and the overdrive now engages and disengages smoothly, without any of the associated clutch-slip problems that used to occur immediately each time, when doing so.

So all round, a good result :)

Archived