Phil Wright

Hi Guys,

I've just noticed that my clutch pedal is badly worn where it passes through the clevis pin into the master cylinder. I noticed that the similar part on the brake pedal is much thicker. I seem to remember the pedals being pretty much the same - is this the case? If I get a S/H brake pedal can I use this for the clutch?

Don't really want to chance this for the 10cr!

Cheers

Phil

mine was fairly oval but not as bad as yours, i just drilled it out to 8mm or something like that and used a new clevis pin, i will weld on a new metal tab when it goes, its not like its the brakes, it shouldnt kill you but for the 10 cr... a towtruck from europe would make the car a write off so...

i think your idea is good, new clevis pin and brake pedal for the clutch... after just dissasembling both, the only difference seems to be in cost weight

When I pulled my pedal out and found the hole was ovalised I popped it down to the nearest local garage with a welding kit. The guy said next time they had a welding job he'd just fill the hole for me while he was there. Picked it up a week later filled in perfectly for no charge! Got it home and drilled it, then off to the powdercoaters. Job done - good as new!

I guess you could use a brake pedal for the clutch but the pedals are differently spaced on the clutch pedal so you could end up with the pedals closer than you might like. Plus the brake pedal is heavier so you're adding weight when you dont need to!

If you havn't a welder, do as Will did.

Clean a bit of the pedal off to bare metal (so that they can earth their mig), clean to bare metal around the hole and pop into a friendly local garage. If it's all prepped it'll take them 3 mins to wack a bit of wled on it.

Better and quicker than digging around a scrappy for something that probably won't fit. It's taken 30 years to get that bad... Fix it with a bit of weld and it'll last another 30...

That's a classic.

Like they say, you take it out, clean all the paint off with a wire wheel on a drill, take it to a garage/welding shop with the pin, & they give it back to you with a nice round hole again.  A couple of bucks.  Then you paint it.

Your idea of gettting another from a jy is good:  even if it also needs to be welded up, you can have it done out of the car & then just swap them.  One day only of being upside-down under the dash, & you've got the original to swap back next time.

Cheers guys, got it sorted now.

Took it to the guy that looks after the cars at work on Malin Bridge in Sheffield. The guy sorted it while I waited as he already had his welder out. Just gotta prepare it for fitting again now, then do all the other jobs before the 10CR :D

Archived