Stuck fast Clutch Pedal

Chrisspit

Hi there I am totally new here so be gentle, for the last 20 years I have owned a 1972 MK4 Spit which has a 1500 dolimite engine in it etc... Sadly since 2000 other things have taken precedent ie Dog kid marriage etc...

The car hasnt been used but started every year and runs fine, just the issue I found when I went to start it last time is that the clutch pedal is stuck absolutely solid. So solid that to push too hard bends the front bulkhead with the pedal assembly.

Firstly I wondered if this was a common issue with neglected cars?
Secondly, Whilst I can doa  few small jobs on my car I am no mechanic and the thought of removing the gearbox would be beyond my skills. So as I cant move the car if it is some thing more serious Does anyone know any good mobile mechanics around to help me get her running again. I am based in Merstham, Surrey.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Regards

Chris

it is common for clutch plates to get siezed if not used for years. ive never experienced it, but i think there are ways to 'un-sieze' it without removing the gearbox. maybe starting the car in gear or something? somebody with more experience will know. taking the 'box out, as a few on here know, is something i am quite accustomed with ;D. its just a case of removing nuts and bolts and remembering how they go back together. the 'box comes through the inside of the car. can be done with the seats and carpets in-situ, but easier if the interior is stripped out. again, just nuts and bolts. you will need 2 strong pairs of hands though to bring the box out. even if you can un-stick the clutch, it will probably be wise to re-new it. but at least you could get the car moving.

my spit is my first car, and replacing the clutch was one of the jobs i had to do first, as it was slipping. i'm no mehcanic either, but with some knowledgeable guidance from the forum, im diving in and learning as i go. its all pretty simple once you get hands on with it. and will save you a fortune.

and most importantly, better prepare you for those times you unexpectadly break down. ;D

Freeing a stuck clutch plate is not that difficult, but I'm guessing that Chris's clutch master cylinder has frozen up. That's not uncommon on a car that sits for a long period of time. It might be salvageable/rebuildable; ore likely, getting a new master cylinder would fix that problem.

The pistons inside the master cylinder and the slave cylinder can form a coating of oxidation that seizes them solid ??)  what you will need to do is remove the cylinder and hydrualic fluid and strip it down. You should be able to remove the piston by giving the cylinder some sharp taps against a hard surface in the direction that the piston would exit  ;) when its out give it a light rub down internally and externally with wet & dry paper then give it a good clean and replace all rubber seals and grease with the rubber stuff that comes with the seal kit, re-assemble and test for free movment of the piston, then put back on car. Job done for a few quid instead of £50ish for a refurbed Master cylinder replacement :D

If it is the clutch that has seized to the flywheel it is possible to free it up but involves running the engine and sticking it in gear. Sometimes the clutch lets go and jumps off the flywheel, sometimes you just hurtle down the road with no opportunity to stop!  Can be done using axle stands too apparently! Personally I took my gearbox out and refurbished everything whilst it was out then made sure I used the car regularly instead of just starting the engine. Same thing can happen to the rear brake shoes.

Doing the clutch is not difficult as long as you take ypur time and have a decent workshop manual to follow. It is also possible to do it single handed provided you have a nice long piece of 2 x 2 and some long studs for the top bell housing bolts.  Use the 2 x 2 to support under the bell housing with the length of wood going from the drivers footwell under the gearbox, then use your foot to take the weight and lever it into place. The long studs in the top bell housing bolts take the weight once the bell housing is lifted into position. Even easier if you know someone who can help and has done one before. Good luck

Open the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder and then try your clutch pedal, if it's still solid then your master is seized. it could also be your slave cylinder.

Look at the fluid in the master, mine had tured to mush, had to replace both master and slave.

Hi Chris

Both Fizzy and PJM describe ways to free a stuck clutch plate.  While their answers are correct, they are not solving your problem.
A stuck clutch plate is characterised by the pedal going all the way to the floor without the clutch disengaging.

In your case, either the master or slave cylinder (or both) have seized - as others have already said in this thread.

seen this many tiimes the slave will be corroded inside and as the pedal has been pressed at some time the slave piston will have travelled to its end and stayed there,  if you take out the pinch bolt  the diapraghm will spring the slave out of the bell housing often rather rapidly .

normally associated with no drive as the clutch is held in the depressed state

always do the simpole checks first   Pete

Note on stuck clutch friction plate.
I have not done this for a while so not sure which gear to use is best, but sometimes a stuck clutch plate can be freed by putting the car in gear and with help rocking the car back and forth whilst holding the pedal down.  

Chris, is there any free play in the pedal? But I doubt if the pivot would sieze up, sounds like hydraulics to me.
Mind you with offset pedals it is easy to get them mixed up, don't bit my head off but you're not pushing the brake pedal are you??  

Archived