Vitesse Mk11 Complete loss of drive in third and fourth gear

Barry Michna

Hi I am hoping I am asking in the right place and that someone can help me with diagnosing what has happened to my gearbox.

I was driving the car without any problems in all gears and including the overdrive.

Completely without warning when I changed up to third there was no drive and the same in fourth.

First, second and reverse all work fine.

No strange noises before or after and no debris in the gearbox oil. can't tell if O/D working as no drive.

Has anyone come across this before or any ideas what might be going on?

Barry

I've not experienced that but...

How does the selector feel in 3rd/4th? Is it perhaps slightly lighter than normal? The most obvious explanation I can think of is that the selector fork has broken. If so, I'd expect it to be easy to put it in 3rd or 4th while stationary with the engine stopped (without any of the baulking you normally get).

You can check the selector without removing the gearbox from the car but you will need to remove the carpet and gearbox cover. Select second gear. Disconnect the reverse light and overdrive switches then undo the bolts holding the gearbox top cover on. Lift the cover off and look to see whether the 3rd/4th selector is intact.

As above really.....

If the feel of the selection has changed then it may be a selector problem, which is all in the box top housing.

If selection feels normal - ie you can feel the gears engage, it's possible the mainshaft has broken behind the 3rd/4th selector hub.  Not common, but not unknown either.  Doesn't usually make odd noises or create lots of swarf.

Not too hard to pop the box-top off to check which..... The former is the easier fix

Good luck

Nick

Hi Barry

You might be better off posting under the 'Vitesse' section of the forum rather than 'in the shed' as thats where you will probably hit more Vitesse owners, some like myself very rarely if ever venture outside that particular section. Anyway welcome to the forum if you are new around here...