Question about carpets and Clutches!

rio678

Hi everyone

new to this forum, so hello!! hope your all well.  Anyway i have a 1962 Herald 1200, First of all it is in great need of some new carpets, does anyone have some? or know somewhere i can get some reasonably priced.

Also i wish to change the clutch and i have been told there is two types, how can i tell between the differences without taking out the gearbox first?

I know there is an odd difference between the questions so appologies in advance! :-)

rio :-)

The clutch "should" be the coil spring type, but many of these have by now been converted to the later diaphragm type. In theory the slave cylinder will give away what's inside. The pinch bolt groove on the early cylinder goes all the way around the body , on the later type it is cut down one side of the cylinder. Unfortunately, this isn't reliable as the wrong cylinders can be made to work, many conversions are done by people who don't realise that there is a difference.
For carpets, only the Newton Commercial sets are worth bothering with. The material is different to the original, but unlike the others sets they fit very well. Cheap carpet sets for Heralds are always nasty. You will need to order the set appropriate for a Mk1 or Mk2 car, depending on which chassis (and floor shape!) you have. Change point was at chassis number GA80001 in June 1962.
Cheers,
Bill.

The bore, and hence throw, is different between early and late slave cylinders. I don't recommend deliberately fitting the wrong one as it can lead to other issues. Nevertheless, it can be made to work with the wrong cylinder.
The flywheel is nominally the same, but will need to be re-drilled as the clutch mounting holes are in different positions. I've always opted for swapping the flywheel as spares have been to hand. Don't overlook the clutch release arm. The arm itself is the same, but the bearing carrier is much taller for the diaphragm spring clutch.
Finally, be aware that the recent Delphi Borg & Beck clutch has been redesigned and has a shallower release face to the clutch cover. This makes the clutch release point at the very end of the pedal travel, sometimes beyond. Other brands will have the correct release height,
Cheers,
Bill.

Bill, thanks for the reply which explains why the clutch only bites right at the top, the previous owner had the car checked over and they couldn't find the problem - just goes to show they should always go to the experts. I think weighing things up I'm going to stick to the original coil spring clutch.

slighlty different track but have just replaced the coil unit on my 1600 with a diaphragm the fixing bolts are on the same pcd but needed 2 dowels repositioning.
not hi tech but took the assumption that the bolt holes were give or take a knats whatsit concentric and used a 8mm pipe olive on the fixing bolts  and nip up to cetralise the cover about the  bolt clearance holes, then redrilled the new dowel locations,thats a bit  of back to front engineering ,,  but its far better operation ..peter

Archived