1500 O/D, GT6 G'Box

Spider

Hi Guys,
I have just acquired a rolling chassis and a 1500 engine and O/D gearbox and I was just wondering if the O/D unit can be modified to fit my GT6 gearbox. If it does not what is a 1500 O/D gearbox worth? I will be selling on the chassis and most of the other parts so let me know and I will list them on here after I get it home in a couple of weeks. I will also be a paid up member by then as I will be paying my subscription at Stoneleigh.
I am going to Stoneleigh, hopefully in the GT6, but she keeps testing me. I bypassed the heated inlet manifold after trying to replace the leaking heater valve, which inevitably broke off whist trying to remove it, along with shearing off the banjo bolt whist tryng to remove that to effect a repair on the heater valve take off union, moved the engine breather from the inlet manifold and plugged the inlet vacuum pipe now ticks over much better but on the test run it has now spat out the short screw in the timing cover and is leaking oil badly, no problem just fit a suitable short bolt I thought, only to find that the thread has been damaged by the previous owner cross threading it, so when I managed to start the bolt off correctly and straight I was not able to tighten it up sufficiently, so I guess that's why I lost it in the first place.
So it has been a   :-/(unhappy)(angry) ::)(smile)(angry)(mad) kind of a week for me.

Many thanks for all your advice on the O/D gearbox queries. Hope to catch up with you all at Stoneleigh.

Spider.

It's a case of a modifying the gearbox to fit the overdrive rather than modifying the overdrive to fit the gearbox!

Canleys do an uprated GT6 3 rail gearbox  for fitting with a J Type, you are basically looking at an exchange rebuilt gearbox with uprated internals and the right output shaft and adaptor plate for a J Type.

1500 od box, with the prop, gearstick, angle drive, mounting plate and rubber mount will be worth a good few bob. �200 or more if you can offer assurances about how good it is.
Angle drives fetch about �20
od gearstick with knob �30
"bare" gearbox/od �100 (unknown) up to �250 (very good)
prop, less certain here, but �25 0r so
mountings �10-15

all above vary with wind direction and phases of the moon.......

Well I think you will get it in, but mods required,
1, GT bell housing,
2, starter,and spacer
3, diff prop, actually Shorter than GT one by 2 inch
4, different remote linkage, IE,got to go to 3 rail
5, may need to mod the OD plate,annd ,or its holes in Chassis.
6, rear tunnel may need modded too, as  OD box on a Spitty has a longer adaptor,
so OD end sits further back, this is for  3 and 5 as well.
7, a cut in the hand brake floor area ,to get it in, also a cover to cover it up.
8, clutch plate,and or cover, as spitty box has diff splines

not insurmountable, but a bit of a list,that all adds up in parts costs.
basicly,get a GT OD Box
Also gears will be different too.
M

Someone like Mike Papworth may well trade you the 1500 gearbox bits you don't need for the GT6 gearbox bits you do need (obviously with a cash incentive). Canley Classics sell the OD adapter J'Type to 3 rail gearbox, and the J'Type OD mainshaft.

Mike usually has these parts available, speak to him before Stoneleigh as he usually has a stall there and you may be able to arrange something and save of delivery.  

Your stripped thread is likely to be in the aluminium block under the crank pully - very common.

I fixed mine using one of these kits. Mine was a sump bolt, but I think the timing cover threads are the same.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THREAD-REPAIR-KIT-5-16-X-24-UNF-SUIT-HELICOIL-INSERT-/330666894501?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item4cfd4864a5

Glen.

Freebird wrote:
Your stripped thread is likely to be in the aluminium block under the crank pully - very common.
Glen.

I have found out today that the thread is in the front plate, the one next to the bolt which goes into the ali front sealing block. I am relieved that it is not in the block. I can at least repair the front plate by welding up the hole then dill and tap a new hole.

Thanks Glen for the link to the helicoil kit as I need one, as they are a good addition to any mechs toolkit.

Spider.

Thanks for the info guys,
I think I will seek out Mike Pocock at Stoneleigh to discuss my options, as I will have 1x 1500 non o/d box 1x 1500 o/d box and the 3 rail box out of my GT6 to barter with.
See you Sunday.
Spider.

Richard_B wrote:
;D  

It's Mike Papworth

Apologies to you Richard and Mike. Mike Pocock is someone I work with, been working with him on a project all day today, so that is what was in my mind.

I shall speak to Mike Papworth on Sunday.I will right his name down on a bit of paper so my senile mind does not forget it and so that I do not offend him by getting his name wrong.

Spider.

Archived