black_rover

A few weeks ago I noticed a bit of slack in the steering of my MkI 2000, but recently it has got worse and instead of it being a track rod end, as I thought it might be, it turned out that the slack is due to the coupling adaptor at the bottom of the top steering column.
I have had a quick go at tightening it up, but it seems quite tight already and appears to have slid down the shaft a bit (apporx 1/8")

Any tips on how to sort this out?
Thanks, Steve.

Is it OK now that you've tightened it?  Is that a nyloc nut? if not, it could work loose.  I assume there is no play in the UJs or that rubber coupling thing.

Do Mk1s have a bulkhead column bush like a mk2?  If that's worn then the column will move around a lot and will try to move in / out  in the clamp you've pictured, particularly if the pinch bolt isn't fully tightened.  I suppose the splines on either the male or female section could be too worn to grip properly too?

Are  the mk2 style column shafts (ie.without the rubber coupling) a straight swap onto mk1s? You'll get better steering feel if you can fit this, no isolating rubber thing in the way.

The coupling has been incorrectly assembled to the column and it is in a dangerous condition.  The recess machined into the shaft that is visible just above the coupling is where the pinch bolt is supposed to pass through.  It looks like the pinch bolt is below the end of the column, or possibly an undersized bolt has been fitted.

You need to remove the bolt completely and slide the coupling along the shaft until the recess lines up with the hole in which the pinch bolt fits - easier said than done.  You might be able to push the steering column along its axis and further into the coupling.  Make sure the pinch bolt is the correct diameter. should be 5/16" I think.

Steve H

shenderson wrote:
The coupling has been incorrectly assembled to the column and it is in a dangerous condition.  The recess machined into the shaft that is visible just above the coupling is where the pinch bolt is supposed to pass through.  It looks like the pinch bolt is below the end of the column, or possibly an undersized bolt has been fitted.

You need to remove the bolt completely and slide the coupling along the shaft until the recess lines up with the hole in which the pinch bolt fits - easier said than done.  You might be able to push the steering column along its axis and further into the coupling.  Make sure the pinch bolt is the correct diameter. should be 5/16" I think.

Steve H

Or is that flat bit on the splined section elongated to give some adjustment?  

Sorbs, the pinch bolt was already tight, so no change there.
I don't think there is a bulkhead column bush for the MkI

Steve, I think the pinch bolt is still in the recess, on another column I have here I can see the recess is a lot longer than the diameter of the bolt, but I shall strip it down tonight to see what is going on, though I fear one or both of the splines are damaged as you can hear and feel them jump as you turn the steering wheel, a bit disconcerting at speed I can tell you  :o

It's not a bad job to do but it helps to have an assistant, it's a bit awkward feeding the steering column into the coupling, it really needs one person in the car and one person working under the bonnet.

The mk2 column is different, the adjustment is on the intermediate shaft, the bolt on the bottom of the steering column only goes in one position (no elongated slot on the column)and it has to be spot on before it'll go. It can be a b!tch!!!.

Alternatively, I've been told that you can loosen the steering rack and move it forwards to disengage the splines, but I didn't fancy doing that.....

Resto, the play was in the splines, pictures in the first post.

Well, I have had time to strip out the steering columns, after removing the upper pinch bolt, the upper column sipped round in the joint all too easily. I thought the column was going to be a pain to get out, having had to remove the one in my GT6 a few times, but the saloon was a lot easier, once I had the indicator unit out.

So the plan now is to put in the spares column as the splines on that look a lot better.

Below is a pic of the failed splines.

Wow. That's really worn.
I would certainly recommend superflex in there. The old bush must have taken a bit of a pounding over the years and eventually just fell to pieces on me as I was removing my shaft. I ditched the old one and found a nice new firm one on the internet. It was a bit of a squeeze to get my column in at first, but once in it kept it good and firm and made it a much more pleasurable ride. I was actually thinking how much better it is when I was driving it home tonight.  

Archived