Steering problem

Andy Borris

Got a MK1 manual with MK2 power steering (MK1 Struts), when using full lock it feels like someones put the handbrake on!

Car stalls very easily and doesn't seem to want to move even when revved and slipping the clutch. The lean angles (when parking) of the front wheels seem very extreme, normal or not?

Andy

did you fit the proper power steering link arms? - they give different geometry to the originals.

The bits I mean are the little short arms that bolt to the bac of the hub and connect to the rack ball  joints

I think the tyres can foul on the drag struts on full lock?  I assume it's normal, I've checked on a few 2000s and they all do it?

If you're holding the steering on full lock (with the tyres hard against the drag struts) the load of the pump will tend to reduce the idle speed anyway, no idle speed / load compensation on these old motors.

MikeyB wrote:
did you fit the proper power steering link arms? - they give different geometry to the originals.

The bits I mean are the little short arms that bolt to the bac of the hub and connect to the rack ball  joints

Don't know, car came with it fitted! How to tell the difference?

Andy

1529 wrote:
That might explain it, even while revving the engine, it still feels like the handbarke is on.

I've got 185/70#14s on my car too.

Andy

My pi has got 195/70/14s but I don't think the tyres foul the struts Andy, it's a shame we didn't know at Easter, we could have compared the two setups side by side.
The 'S' front struts have a raised bit on the lower spring pan, don't think the pi has, where do the tyres foul on the strut? and also, your front brake flexies aren't too short are they?

Colin.

Archived