Floaty steering

AJ.Lintern

My steering sometimes feels a little uncertain and floaty :-/ Is this likely to be a geometry issue? I'm pretty sure the front suspension is standard, though the rear dampers have been replaced with Koni at some point. Tyres are fairly new 175x70 on 5.5" wheels, with pressure currently set to 22psi front, 24 rear.
Any recommendations?

It's definitely worth getting the wheel alignment checked on all 4 wheels. I had mine checked after doing some suspension work. It was a bog-standard laser alignment check and adjust and cost £20 ish so very reasonable.

A Spitfire should feel razor sharp so it could be alignment or wear in the steering/suspension components. I would definitely get it checked out.

Have you got play in the steering?
Have you done routine lubrication such as trunnions?
Is everything in good nick suspension and steering as far as you are aware?

I would get it checked out asap.

best of luck, Neil

Yes I oil the trunnions and had replaced the steering column joint not that long ago so there isn't really any play in the steering. I think a geometry check would make sense - there doesn't appear to be much self centring either, so could probably do with a bit of toe in.

I've had it once or twice where after a fast run the steering feels light. The same amount of movement of the steering wheel will move the wheels the same amount as normal, but everything feels super light. I've never figured out why and it happeneds twice in one week a month ago. Never before or since.

Check the steering coupling.  This made mine feel floaty and it got worse the faster you went.  It's easy to tell if it's gone by moving the steering wheel and looking for any play in the coupling.

Phil

.... alignment, tyre pressures, new rear spring/arse in the air attitude, soft front sprngs and crap shox - just my expereinces of "floaty" front end. Also, check you aren't doing over 100 mph, that makes my Vitesse go light at the front ;-)

I think the ride height is ok - the rear is quite low with a fair amount of negative camber, certainly more so than the front. I'll take some pics later to see if anyone can see anything obviously 'wrong' with how it looks.
I suppose if the front was softer than the rear, this would tend to amplify any geometry problems?

Archived