GT6 Mk1 Steering and Suspension

Tel

Hello

Just rejoined the club after a 4 year break renovating an old house. I have resumed work on a 68 GT6 Mk1 and could do with a bit if information regarding steering and suspension set up. The car now has the Canley swing spring modification and standard parts elsewhere, it is intended to use the car just for road use, what would be the best steering and suspension set up to use, at present on the rear there is very bad positive camber haven't measured it yet but looks like  quite a few degrees (Just about to make a home made tool to check it for now all the alignment tooling hopefully arrives next week), the fronts don't look to bad for camber don't know about caster toe and king pin also does any one know of anybody the does glass have a crack appeared in the windscreen have another good screen so need someone to swap it Battle East Sussex area, any help would be very much appreaciate

Thanks  Tel  

For road use, set the front up as per the original WSM figures. They generally work pretty well and if your ride height / camber looks reasonable then your springs are fine.

You say you have a swing spring mod - presumably that means it's a new spring at the rear. Your positive camber is probably down to that - it will need time to settle. Some people recommend driving around with a bag of cement in the boot to encourage it. If it flatly refuses to settle, though, there's always the lowering blocks option. One of the local Spitfire owners here had to resort to that because the spring (like you, he'd bought a swing spring kit, though I don't think his was from Canley) was just plain too stiff.

Thanks, The car has been sitting for 4 years with two 32kg training weights in the boot but not driven only moved about,  I thought i may have to use lowering blocks but don't know what thickness to get at the moment at about £25 each  for a starting point i might try if possibile and put some spacers under the spring as a test for the size of blocks i need.  I don't have a WSM at present got mislaid in house move but will get one.