Quick rack steering and swing spring Q's

Dave N

Hi all

I am busy cleaning up my replacement chassis frame for my 13/60 resto so whilst spending hours behind a mask, goggles, ear muffs etc I have been thinking about running gear.  8)

I really like the idea of a high ratio steering rack as my daily drive has a high ratio rack and I love flicking the wrist to corner.

My question is, and I know this will be difficult to translate over a forum, how heavy is it? I will be fitting a standard Vitesse steering wheel so not going for a leather covered shirt button affair.

I also fancy solid rack mounts for steering feel but will this give me white knuckles on the Sunday blast?  ;)

The second question is the swing spring. I really fancy Canley's spring kit. How low will it sit? I don't want to scrape the frame on speed bumps etc but would like it a bit lower than standard. Would it be best to fit adjustable height front spring/dampers to level the car?

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Dave  :)

• 3 weeks later...

The Herald already has (or should have) the quicker rack fitted.  To supplement this you could also fit the solid rack mounts (or poly-bush the originals) and fit a proper universal joint to the bottom of the column in place of the standard flexi-joint.  Slightly lower and higher rate springs, decent dampers (Konis are still the best, though don't usually come with adjustable spring platforms) and a bit of negative camber dialled in with also help.

I have the quicker rack, solid mounts and the UJ on my Vitesse and it's fine.  Steering is a little heavy at parking speeds but that is with a much heavier engine and 175/70 tyres.  On the open road it is a joy.

Can't really comment on the swing spring as I've never used one.

Nick

years back when we first got the vitesse to imprve the rear camber bought a  so sogggggy Moss reprofiled  spring which was soon replaced with a full swinger kit with the larger roll bar,  this in the end gave appalling ride and constantly dropped to sit on the shocker bump stops , had to cut the shocker and remove two bump rings to get some travel, and excessive neg camber..looked good , thats about all going for it.
apart from being a saloon with a higher C of G  it rolled badly and roundabouts more like a boat . was unable to run 4 up without
shaking the passengers to death, and it came off and fitted one of Bills Courier units , kept the roll bar and whilst it needed a 1"drop plate to get near 0 camber was now like on rails in comparision with any other ill chosen mix away from original.

what ever you decide always check the rear toe in after any changes , its important if you want it to handle and not bump steer on pot holes

pete

I fitted a Canleys swing spring kit to my Herald in about 2004, and the arch of the spring made the car's bum sit higher. It was brought back down with a spacer block. A 1" block was too much, but a 3/4" block was just right. It's now slightly lower than standard, but not so much that it catches its exhaust on speed bumps or ridges in the tarmac.

But remember, the springs are probably made as small batches. You'll have to fit one and then decide whether the car's at the right height. Mine hasn't sagged over the last ten years though, so the spring was well made. Just a bit too arched. Too flat would have been harder to remedy.