Bumperless Front End

carboy0

I am looking at whether to run bumperless in Rusty Custard, the car looks quite good without the bumper, but the great big holes in the front valence, suggest that some mesh of some kind should be fitted for safety and aesthetic reasons. There’s a straight run for stones and road debris into the radiator matrix.

If anyone has fitted mesh previously, two questions, what did you use and how did you secure it?

Ive used a piece of mesh in the front valance air intake hole of my Vitesse to protect a new aluminium radiator as I felt its more prone to getting damaged than the original copper/brass item (the ally tubes have thinner walls). I got this stuff and only used the existing number plate plastic fixing bolts to clamp it in place after having 'molded' it to the correct shape....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Mesh-Coarse-3m-0-5m-holes-approx-5mm-10mm-x-1/302615997957?epid=1428091326&hash=item467551ae05:g:urEAAOSwEUdaamSm

Quoted from glang-

Depending on the access I reckon you could form the mesh to fit pretty close to the inside of the valance as its easily shaped and then fix it in place with a few dollops of silicone sealant....

yep silicone might work or theres that JB weld stuff

Quoted from glang-

Trouble is epoxy metal could be a bit too good if you want to get the mesh off at any time. My new rad is actually held in with the stuff!

thats stange so how do you get your radiator out what happen to the original mounting points for your rad

The rad came without any mounting flanges so rather than welding on aluminium angle I bonded it using epoxy metal. These then have bolted angles that fit onto the original mounting points all of which has worked really well and has easily been capable of surviving the vibration and temperature changes.  

Quoted from iggy-

“I tried to  work out a way to fit mesh on my mk2 without drilling holes in the front valance but  couldn’t”.

That’s my dilemma in a nutshell. How to fix the mesh without putting screw holes through the valence.

Quoted from glang-

The rad came without any mounting flanges so rather than welding on aluminium angle I bonded it using epoxy metal. These then have bolted angles that fit onto the original mounting points all of which has worked really well and has easily been capable of surviving the vibration and temperatuchanges. Ok glad it worked for you

Quoted from iggy-
Quoted from glang-

Trouble is epoxy metal could be a bit too good if you want to get the mesh off at any time. My new rad is actually held in with the stuff!

thats stange so how do you get your radiator out what happen to the original mounting points for your rad