Steering Rack Lubrication

cbjroms

My 13/60 Haynes manual says to top the steering rack up with the recommended lubricant.

I am fitting new gaiters and wondering whether I just pack the ball housing with grease before I fit them? Does the rack need lubricating elsewhere?

Thanks

Chris

There is a bolt on the top of the rack, near to where the column joimoveremoved the plastic overflow bottle to gain access. I removed this bolt and screwed in a grease nipple, pumped it full of grease then removed the nipple and replaced the bolt. I think the bolt had a earth strap attached, I may be mistaken though.

This is what I did on mine anyway.

its best to grease the passenger side as this does not get any lubricant from fitting a greaser to the pinion hsg,  ( the earth wire is to complete the horn circuit)

you may as well coat both rack ends to ease /lube the two outer bushes and wind from lock to lock.

Peter

down to preference , some leave it in others fight to replace it , it is only a normal blanking plug with the earth on an eyelet .nothing special, has no effect on internals  .
same applies the the rear hub bearings and trunions , were all originally plugged to stop any leak out or water ingress.

Pete

Archived