Lubing the trunnions

Freebird

Hi everyone.

I've had my Vitesse convertible for a few weeks now and am getting round it, doing all those little jobs that need doing. Wiring mosly, I think one of the previous owners was Mr Maggoo.

One of these jbs is lubricating the front trunnions, a simple job of getting oil in through the nipples you would think. Trouble is i can't find any nipples on my car - did they stop fitting them at some point or have I gone blind from the wind blast?

If there are no nipples how do I lube them?

Glen.

There should be small bolt heads protruding from the back of the vertical link. Replace these with grease nipples.

One of the selling points for these cars was that "no grease nipples were fitted". The sales blurb did not say that at the first service these bolts would be removed and nipples installed!

You will have blanking plugs fitted where the nipples are supposed to go. Blanking plugs were standard fittings at the factory, for servicing they are removed and nipples fitted, then the blanking plugs go back in before the customer gets his car back - that's the idea in any case!
The plugs will be found on the back of the vertical link, just above the bronze trunnion. They have a 7/16" head and can be removed with a spanner. For oiling, use a standard grease gun filled with EP90 gear oil. The job is simple, but be sure to use a good quality grease fitting, otherwise it can be a nightmare getting a seal to the nipple.
Cheers,
Bill.

Hi fellas

Thanks for all your replies. I found the blanking plugs last night and thought that must be what they were. I managed to get some EP90 in through the vacant holes by screwing a piece of copper brake pipe into a football pump outlet. Messy old job though.

Cheers

Glen.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4642309726&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT

Don't know if it's any good, but I like the fact that the oil sits in a pot; whereas with a normal grease gun the oil seeps down the sides when your storing it.

No personal involvement.................

I use a half-size conventional grease gun, makers name is "Wanner" or "Abnox", depending which part of the labelling you believe. I have a similar but useless gun by Draper, though I think this would work just as well if I got round to fitting a decent grease fitting at the end.
I store my guns hanging by their pump handles so the nozzle points upwards. As long as you release the pressure by pulling back the charging handle, leakage is minimal,
Cheers,
Bill.

The American oil guns advertised on Ebay have not had very good reviews over on the TSSC message board.

If it's specifically an oil gun you are after, people tend to recommend this one
http://www.cromwell.co.uk/CTL5404538G?

And as Bill says, you need a good quality grease nipple on the car, as well as a good quality fitting on the gun.

Archived