It all depends what you are using the Car for.

Is it a general run about?

If so standard good quality Dampers should suffice, but be wary of some of the cheaper Black ones on E-Bay. I've heard some bad reports on here about the quality?

If a modified or track car then Gas one will be worth the extra, I've heard good reports about the Gaz type, Spax seem to get mixed reports with problems with the bushing :-/.

If expense isn't a problem then fit Koni, got them on all four corners of my Vitesse and haven't had any problems although I'm not much of a boy racer type ??)  

Gary has summed it up well I think. You do seem to get what you pay for to be honest.

Koni are reported to be by far the best, got them on all 4 corners of the GT6. Ride is very nice and could tell when fitting they were good quality. But pricey though.

As has been said Gas and Spax are also used by some and seem to have ok results, I think some said the adjuster screws on the Spax caused problems if I remember rightly?

Heard some bad things about the black standard type replacements, Buy cheap buy twice and all that.

I bought a set of the standard ones but the quality was poor. They work but dont really control the movement of the car well.

A year latter when I had funds I fitted Gaz adjustable height and rate shocks. Transformed the handling and comfort of the car. I lowered the front a bit but mostly its the improved damping that helped.

Regards,
Andy

Koni's here too. Marvellous things. Something to do with the way they are valved I believe that is way better than the competition, if used hard.

I think all the black ones are the same, sold by suppliers and ebay etc. They have a brand on them Armstrong?? who used to be a quality shock manufacturer, but like so many things the name has been bought and abused.
For normal shocks, a large autojumble usually reveals some decent old stock ones. Plenty at Stoneleigh a few weeks ago.