More Oil to the Rockers

cammmy

Had the No. 1 tappet adjuster wear out where it sits in the push rod last week. Replaced it but I popped the rocker cover off again today to check the situation, it seems that is still not getting as much oil as the others. Is there a way to rectify this? Could it be a sign of a larger issue?

Cheers
Cam

Cam,
The oil supply to the rocker shaft is merely the screw thread on the back end of the camshaft.  It isn't a great pump but it's all that is needed, IF the shaft and rockers are in a reasonable state.  But as wear occurs, more and more is lost through worn shaft and rockers betwen the back of the head and No1.  The answer is NOT to plug in an external oil pipe, 'coz that will rob the main bearings as so much squirts out around the rockers.   Even an oil pipe with a carefully calibraated restrictor is not the answer.
The answer is a new rockershaft.  Sorry.
John

796 wrote:
it may well be that the laal wol that feeds the push rod is blocked,

some have two wols, one on the top, and one underneath,

its the one underneath, that feeds the push rod,

go have a looook

regards Marcus

Does anyone know what this Marcus idiot is on about?

WTF is a laal wol ?

Do you actually speak English ?

L

I actually speak Cumbrian,  and If I had to actually type  every word / number in it, the you would never follow

And Im proud to be able to speak it,

yes I speak English,, but I slip into Local lingo very easily,

and If you had any common sense,

then ye would have been able to realise what I was on about.      ...   with out swearing...., :-/ :-/ :-/

[ any 2 year old kid,up here , must  have more going than you, if you could  not follow post ]

[ look  cumbrian dialect up on wiki, ]

unfourtuanatly,  the god dam yanks , cant speak very good english, always come up with stupid swear words,

cos thats all they Know, as you have just remonstrated , with  W.T.F.

and for you info,

an Idiot, is a person, who cannot comprehend what has been told to him, even when it has been  

broken down, into its simplest form,.

so before you go calling people an Idiot, make sure ye know what it actually means,

other wise you become  .. the idiot, :) :) ;D ;D :) :)

Ohhh, I see you no commented on the prob,  

maybe a bit of light travels faster than sound  here, me thinks, :) :)

Marcus  

Lol, what sort of idiot wouldn't be able to understand Marcus' posts?  I just checked the laal wol on my 2000 and it's fine.  ;) :)

Maybe I'm being an idiot but is the little cross head screw towards the rear of the rocker shaft on 6 pot engines supposed to align the shaft with an oilway or something?  I heard a rumor that this is the case but am not certain. Perhaps someone could advise.

The reason I suggest it is that they are known for falling out (Chris Witor lists them as "the screw which falls out").  If you don't know it's supposed to be there then you won't notice that it's missing........

796 wrote:
I actually speak Cumbrian,  and If I had to actually type  every word / number in it, the you would never follow

And Im proud to be able to speak it,

yes I speak English,, but I slip into Local lingo very easily,

and If you had any common sense,

then ye would have been able to realise what I was on about.      ...   with out swearing...., :-/ :-/ :-/

>>Did i swear?

>>>Well, did I?

[ any 2 year old kid,up here , must  have more going than you, if you could  not follow post ]

>>>Actually, I could follow the post, but your assault on the English language gets annoying, especially as I had no idea that you were typing in a recognisable dialect.  

[ look  cumbrian dialect up on wiki, ]

>>>I had no idea that there was such a thing.

unfourtuanatly,  the god dam yanks , cant speak very good english, always come up with stupid swear words,

cos thats all they Know, as you have just remonstrated , with  W.T.F.

and for you info,

an Idiot, is a person, who cannot comprehend what has been told to him, even when it has been  

broken down, into its simplest form,.

so before you go calling people an Idiot, make sure ye know what it actually means,

other wise you become  .. the idiot, :) :) ;D ;D :) :)

>>>I am not American, I am British, thank you.

Ohhh, I see you no commented on the prob,  

maybe a bit of light travels faster than sound  here, me thinks, :) :)

Marcus  

>>Seems like i touched a nerve Marcus, my apologies if I upset you, sincerely.

If you must type in dialect, then at least help us by saying so at the foot of your post.  

L

JohnD wrote:
Cam,
The oil supply to the rocker shaft is merely the screw thread on the back end of the camshaft.  It isn't a great pump but it's all that is needed, IF the shaft and rockers are in a reasonable state.  But as wear occurs, more and more is lost through worn shaft and rockers betwen the back of the head and No1.  The answer is NOT to plug in an external oil pipe, 'coz that will rob the main bearings as so much squirts out around the rockers.   Even an oil pipe with a carefully calibraated restrictor is not the answer.
The answer is a new rockershaft.  Sorry.
John

Cool, looking at building up a hotter motor so as long as the current one lasts until then I'll be happy. Was thinking about Yella Terra roller rockers but have heard conflicting reports (as always  :P), anyone had experience with RR's?

Can anyone provide a picture of where to look for the screw that falls out (or rather, where is should be)?

Unfortunately due to the cost of freight across to the underside of the planet, bablefish are incredibly expensive and have yet to be modified for use in keyboards. I will however don my flat cap and hope that it brings out my Yorkshire roots so that I may guess correctly. May ask for translations though from the bablefish equipped ;D

Archived