Poor oil flow to rockers Rover V8

MK1StagSF

Hi, I recently had the Rover V8 engine in my Stag completely rebuilt. New bearings, new timing chain, new pistons, new oil pump gears, gaskets etc etc. The oil pressure is now really good up around 40-50 psi on cold tick over however the flow of oil up around the rockers appears to be very low and doesn’t look to be enough to keep everything properly lubricated. Hopefully somebody has some suggestions as the mechanic who carried out the rebuild has run out of ideas!

Depends what you mean by very low flow.  If the rockers and shaft are in good condition then the amount of oil actually escaping between rocker and shaft should be low.  I can't remember whether the Rover engine has drillings to feed small amounts of oil to the valve stems and push-rod tips but even then I would expect dribbles rather than jets.

If you run the engine with the rocker covers off and you can see oil oozing from the edges of all the rockers after a few minutes then I reckon all is well.  Ironically, as with the Triumph push-rod engines, loads of oil flying round at the top end usually means the rockers/rocker shaft are shot.

If you are not getting any oil to the top end then this may give a clue
http://www.classicroverforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5262

Nick

When they re built it did they do the oil drain mod at the front of the block?

You need to drill two holes behind the timing chain, it helps lubrication of the chain when the oil drains back. If your not sure what I mean I will have a look through my files for one of the photos from when I have done it.

Did you prime the pump before starting? I know of some who don't, you still can get good pressure once the oil is up, but by then the top end is starved causing premature damage!