Spitfire mk3 cam

CHRIS211083

Hi all, has anyone got the spitfire mk3 cam from canleys??? Ive got a dolomite engine(large crank) and want to know what people think of this cam. Has anyone bought it??? I was looking at the tr5 cam but i use my spit to commute. I want good mpg and good power for the weekend. Though anything will be better then the dolomite cam. Im just getting my head rebuilt next week and have decided to keep it standard(unleaded seats). So dont know if the tr5 cam will make any more bhp over the spit mk3 cam??? Engine bottom end is currently standard with hs2 carbs. 4-1 exhaust manifold straight through back box. Any advise would be much appreciated, Cheers in advance. Chris.

"Spitfire Mk3 cam" is the 25/65 cam profile that was the factory standard for the Spit mk3 and 1300TC FWD in 4 cylinder form and also used in 6 cylinder cars including Vitesse mk2, GT6 Mk2, and the earlier 2.5PIs.  It's a 270º cam, so fairly "hot" for stanadard production cars of the day.  It works very well and is a good compromise between docile and torquey bottom end and free revving top end.  Also capable of good fuel economy.

The true Mk3 spit cam had smaller bearing journals for use with cam bearings but Canleys supply them in either large or small bearing form these days.  I had one in my Herald 1300 years ago and it went very nicely.  As far as I know it is still running around Perth WA with it.

The TR5 cam profile is a 35/65  (approx 280º) with a bit more lift.  Not used it myself.

Nick

Good to hear, Im going to buy a large journal cam for my current dolomite engine( this engine will be sold on after the engine rebuild and switch). I will then have cam bearings built into my spare dolomite engine and buy another small journal cam. I was going to get a small crank but to be honest i dont think ill bother any more as im not gonna be racing it. Thanks all for the views, Cheers Chris.    

Hi all, called Canleys today and to my surprise (divine intervention) They didnt have any large crank mk3 spit profile cam. So the devil got the better of me and i bought the tr5 cam and just said fu*k it its meant to be. More power more rev's......This is going to be interesting. I also picked up a timing chain kit just in case the original one has stretched or is worn and new cam followers. My spare head is away to chic doig for unleaded seats and new guides however i found out my current head is a 1500 head so must be quite low compression. Will swap with the spare (1300 recon head) as soon as it arrives(skimmed).

Archived