elm-phoenix

hello helpfull members, my engine mounts where both new 11 months ago when i put the engine in, but where different types, one of them was hollow rubber, so now the hollow one has flattend the hollow part making the metal part of the mount come into contact with the turret, so will have to change it, thoght this would be easy, but as iv put them on the back of the turret, would be tight getting them out.

so the question is, how do I jack up the engine and where from to change the mount as trolly jack doesent fit under wishbones or chassis at front. or do i have to hire an engine lift to change it, help please.

Yes put the jack under the sump with some wood to spread the load, you're only supporting the engine while you change the mounts right.

Sometimes jacking the car & letting it down again gives you enough room to get the jack right under as the suspension doesn't settle untill you move the car forward or back.

If you put a block of wood under the sump to spread the load it should be OK...

It's probably best to unbolt both engine mounts, that way you can lift the engine more freely and will have a better chance of getting the bad mount out.

If you don't want the car on stands then find a couple of big blocks of wood and drive the front wheels up onto them so that you can get the jack under.

i went through the exact same problem 4 months ago, just jack the car up put it on axle stands then jack the sump with a plank of wood to spreak the load on whichever side you are replacing, not the centre, i placed it there first but to remove the mounts you need more movement in the engine so loosen off the opposite side and jack the side you are replacing and you get enough movement to replace one at a time.

hope it makes sense.

Archived