gfiandy

Hi
Had exactly the same problem with my mk2. What makes it worse is that the sump plug as standard is a forging and therefore has tapered sides.

I only resolved my situation by welding a standard nut to the stub that was left.

the welding was pretty crap i think the heat actually did more good but it did come undone fairly easily

I then made proper plug with a proper hex, no problems since!

Maybe something like this?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_172419_langId_-1_categoryId_255216

Also several similar tools on ebay, http://www.mackay.co.uk/ is also a good source for odd tools in Cambridge :)

Never tried using such a tool for the sump plug, but could be worth a shot? I got mine of using the ring end of a combination spanner, now it is replaced by a brass fitting that also houses the sump temperature sensor.

Cheers,
Oskar

I guess mine must be smaller than the one in you car as I tried a 1/2 inch extension and it is far to slack. I have found a 10mm drain plug tool from Laser for £4 on line so I will try that.

I don't have any welding equipment so can't try welding a nut on but I have a gas soldering iron that doubles as a small blow torch so I could try heating it up with that. Would this be worth while, is there any risk from the flame (as I notice the fuel pump is just above it).

Andy

2674 wrote:
I guess mine must be smaller than the one in you car as I tried a 1/2 inch extension and it is far to slack. I have found a 10mm drain plug tool from Laser for £4 on line so I will try that.

I don't have any welding equipment so can't try welding a nut on but I have a gas soldering iron that doubles as a small blow torch so I could try heating it up with that. Would this be worth while, is there any risk from the flame (as I notice the fuel pump is just above it).

Andy

When mine rounded off I filed it to take a 3/8 square, then hammered on a hex bolt socket, then used the corresponding sized socket to remove it (if that makes sense).

There was a ebayer selling spanners he had made specifically for the triumph sump plug. I bought one for a few pounds several months ago and it fits perfectly. It's made of stainless steel, so not the hardest material, but worked a treat. Just checked and they are not currently listed so he may have stopped producing them or sold out. If anybody is interested I should be able to find a contact through my ebay purchases.

Mark

Archived