Vitesse Sump removal, engine in car

mazfg

Wanting to give the engine a good oil clear out and would like to take the sump off and remove any old crud and generally check the condition of the sump internals.

How easy is it to get the sump off, the engine is staying put, so any pointers would be appreciated. I am aware of someof the front end bolts being shorter than the others, so will watch out for those.

Cheers

Ideally I would like to get the sump off as I'd imagine there maybe a lot of sludge in there. Never moved the engine before, so any pointers on that would be good....Unfortunately I have no engine hoist, so jacking it would be my option...if that's possible?

Right this is how the manual tell's it..............

Disconnect the battery. Drain the radiator and engine sump. Disconnect the hoses from thermostat housing. Support the engine using the two lifting eyes. Slacken the right hand engine mounting bolts and remove the left hand mounting bolts. remove sump bolts and raise the engine, lever the sump rearwards to clear cross member and remove.

I would say best to remove the sump as the sludge will not be removed by a engine oil flush, I did and could not believe the amount of crud in there!!

If you haven't got a hoist then get a jack under some point other than the sump.

Good luck

just to add we have done this twice... can be exiting.

you have to lift pretty high , watch for fan/radiator contact.

we used a hard wood support cut to fit under/in  the front pulley
the rack will need removing (best ) or at least unclamped and slid well forwards.

the type of pump and type of sump strainer are the bits to get in the way of getting enough rearward tarvel to get the pan to drop off.
easier with the early pump.

if these stop removal,   get enough gap to remove (with thin fingers) the 3 oil pump bolts and let the pump drop into the sump

its off easy with that out the way.

but you may have to cut /remove some of the splash gauze to enable the refitting

yes there's a fair bit of lift drop,wiggle struggle involved in 'On Car removal'  but its possible,

its also worth resealing the bearing cap bridge wooden sealer blocks while you are getting dripped on .

and make sure only short bolts have been used in the sump and timing cover , if any of these have bottomed out they will be stripped
and need tapping metric M8 or going up a size,  there is a steel bridge made which does make a serious repair for life , just dont have the supplier to hand .

Peter

Hi Mazfg,

When i restroed my Vitesse 2-litre Mk1 the sludge and crud that had built up over the past 43 years was unbelievable  ??), must have had at least 1/2 a litre of sludge and slurry in the bottom f the sump!  :B

I would do it as a matter of cause!  :-/, Because the new oil that will be put into it at service time will only my tarnished and ruined by all the sludge!  :'(

Regards

Jordan

dont be put off , it will either be a doddle......... or a lot of faffing about but it does come off....

we even replaced the crank in ours ..in the car.. needs a load of shreaded wheat... it gets pretty heavy
(the oil pump drive shaft was fouled by  a lump of block casting snot,  and the side load worn pump particles were ingested in the two centre mains ,  thank heavens for a dremel..  but it had been rubbing hard for 40 years )  
dont you just love these little cars

Pete

while the sumps of its worth a quick look at the pump for any scoring and drop a couple of the main caps off for a look , just make sure you put the caps back the same way round, should be marked , but a dab with a paint stick or a centre pop mark to be sure ,

there's plenty od tee shirts out there for fitting caps back to front and wonder why it wont turn now !!

Peter

Archived