Einar

Yes it can matey.  Did mine yesterday.  Only problem is, you will have to lift the engine (I used a chain hoist from the garage roof), in order to get to the sump bolts that are strategicaly placed above the steering rack and chassis cross-member.  If you do happen to have micro hands to undo the bolts, you'll still need to lift the engine to wiggle the sump past the cross-member and oil pump pick-up.  I took the chance to renew the big-end shells while I was under there just 'cos I could.  Took about 3 hours from start to finish.

Dave

Thanks for the reply. Can the engine be lifted from underneath with a jack – or will that be in the way of the sump itself? I’ve not yet been underneath, just preparing myself for the work I’ll do when the summer has all gone in a month or so  :)

No there's nowhere to jack the engine if you want to take the sump off, you have to lift it from above using the lifting eyes on the block.  I just lifted it from the front eye as it's at the front where you need the clearance.  One more thing - getting the sump bolts out is easy, compared to getting them back in, you need the hands of a 6 year old to get between the chassis and engine!  Perseverence with the bolt wedged into an extension bar is the only way.

Have fun

Dave

I did manage to do mine without using an engine hoist even though I do own one, but I must admit I can't rememebr exactly what I did to get the clearance, so maybe I found some way of using a jack. The point of my feedback is that yes it can be done in situ, it's a fiddly and frustrating job but quicker than lifting the lump out.

just had the sump off a spitfire and had to jack engine up 1" for sump to clear the front journals cut a piece of timber to locate on the crankpulley and bottle jack
the only thing to watch is take out the dipstick and release the rad so you dont strain the hose tube soldering  
have done the same  with my Vit6 1600  which needs lifting higher to clear the steering rack
just dont use long bolts into the front main bearing block it will easily strip in the alloy

Peter

Archived