More radiator musings

Smallfry

I have spent the day fitting a Peugeot 205 diesel radiator to my Herald, only to find that it interferes with the bonnet counterbalance springs..............Bah !

The question is, does it really offer much improvement over the standard full width one ? Maybe it will overcool the engine, is such a phenomenum exists ?

Maybe I should put in an even bigger rad, so I need not fit any fan/s at all ?

Heres another radical thought............If you have an electric fan.
When you are moving forward, the airflow through the rad should be sufficient to keep the engine cool, and its only really when you are stationary that an electric fan should cut in? With me so far ?

Good. Now, everyone knows that fans SHOULD be fitted behind the radiator, or they will impede the airflow. Now, what I was thinking is........what if the fans that were behind the rad were ones that SHOULD be fitted in front of it, and when they come on (when the vehicle is stationary remember) they suck the hot air from the engine bay, and blow it through the grille instead ?

I thought that if you started to move forward while they were on, the airflow could stall the motors, but I dont think this is very likely. I know this goes against normal thinking, but I am almost tempted to try it.

Any thoughts anyone ? 

I have not seen your aperture Dave........oo er !

I was actually thinking about a shutter in the manner of the early Herald accessory, which was, in effect an upside down roller blind, which could be pulled up from inside the car, I think it would look great with a pastoral kitchen type scene printed on it ?
I bought the 205 rad new, but as it interferes with the bonnet mechanism, I might well go for something else. The Peugeot 206 one looks good, and would fill the whole space behind the grille, and you can get either a petrol one which is 18mm thick or the diesel one which is 27mm thick. The core size is 380 mm high and 560 wide, or maybe this is too big ? The bonus with this rad, is that the inlet and outlet both point backwards, and it fits within the valances.

Maybe I am modding for the sake of it, and a three core full width Triumph one would be sufficient ?

Thats interesting Jason, it sort of confirms that my theory might just work ! I have a couple of fans from a 205 turbo diesel which are normally fitted in front of the rad, and they are powerful enough to pull the car along on their own I think. I might try it !

Be wary of these PSA XUD diesel rads-  I'm a BX owner as well as the Vitesse, and they have a well known problem (in the BX world, anyway) of being VERY prone to silting up in the bottom- they need regular (annual)  backflushing and if they've not been properly looked after they don't work too well..........many a diesel BX has been sent to the froggy scrapyard in the sky by a warped head bought on by an unmaintained rad which has just given up trying :'(

Archived