overdrive - 5 speed

spitfiremk4

I have recently purchased a mk4 spitfire (1973) which appears to have been fitted with a Dolomite 1300 engine (Engine id is DH 49784 HE), not sure about the gearbox. It does not appear to have the reversing switch in the same place as the manual says.
At 60 mph its revving at around 4,000 if that helps.

I would like to fit over drive but I am not sure what to buy.  Does a 1300 Spitfire gearbox-overdrive fit with a reduced length prop shaft fit straight on or do I need a Dolomite 1300 gearbox-over drive and what prop shaft do I use.

I know one idea would be to replace the engine as well but its a really good unit, very reliable, very responsive and pulls so well.

Another post I was reading on this forum mentioned a Ford 5 speed, which Ford and would this attach to the 1300 ?

The car is fantastic, already I have people saying I used to have one. The plan is to keep it long term.

right any triumph 1300 RWD box will fit ok i believe, be i a doll or spitfire box, 1500 boxes fit too although some change needs to be made to the clutch i beleive, and you need ore than just a shorened propshaft also, although apart from a new speedo cable i cant remember what!

the ford type 9 box fits with an adapter plate and various lttle mods, it is a bit of work and cost also.

other people will be able to enlighte you abitbetter though as to whats involved in fitting one.

spitfiremk4 wrote:

Another post I was reading on this forum mentioned a Ford 5 speed, which Ford and would this attach to the 1300 ?

You can get all the bits for a 5 speed conversion here http://www.mgcars.org.uk/frontline/pricelst.htm (go to bottom of page for Triumph prices).

You can find info on Andre's 5 speed conversion here http://www.gt6.ca/5speed/index.html, plus links to more conversions.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information.  I have seen a Dolomite Sprint overdrive, would this be suitable, it comes from a 1978 car. What engine size(s) were Sprints ?. I have done some research and if using a 1500 overdrive on a 1300 engine you need to change the clutch and flywheel.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer previous question reverse is next to first.

After a little searching I found a 1500 engine with overdrive gearbox which I have just purchased and collected together with prop shaft, starter, spedo cable and radiator.  I plan to fit both so I will have a 1500 mark 4.  I will keep the 1300 engine as a reserve.

I am hoping that by fitting the 1500 my problems will be over regarding compatibility etc or are the problems just starting....  I know there are some modifications to be done, are there any photos that I can look at.

I have not looked yet but working on the assumption that the engine mounts are the same as the 1300 and in the same place.  

Yep, a straight swap. Sort of.
BUT well worth either buying a 4 branch exhaust manifold, or use your existing 1300 one. The 1500 manifold is unreliable and blows gaskets at an alarming rate! Need to use a 1300 manifold to head gasket. You then use your existing exhaust system.
You should also fit a 1500 diff, the 1300 one will not make full use of the extra torque and driving style of the 1500.
Rev counter, 1500 dizzy is not cable, so either use your delco one or get a 1500 rev counter.
Gearbox mounting plate (on the chassis) hopefully you got this too?
Starter, rad same as 1300 (or should be!)

Cheers
Clive

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the distributor-rev counter advice, will obtain a 1500 one, keep everything matching.

The gearbox mount came with it.  Will buy a new gasket and keep exisiting exhaust manifold and system.

CharlieB, I have yet to look but what does this hole do?  Is there any picture that shows me ?

Thanks
Kevin

spitfiremk4 wrote:
CharlieB, I have yet to look but what does this hole do?  Is there any picture that shows me ?

Gives access to the prop to O/D flange bolts, on the MkIV the tunnel comes further forward. The cover is YKC1486 (you could make your own) http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/spitfire/images/147a.gif

Good point.
Would disagree about the diff though, the 3.63 is MUCH better suited to the lower revving but torquier 1500. The 3.89 will cause the engine to run out of revs too early. But can be changed later.
You may want to try driving a normal 1500 as a comparison.

Archived