GT6 overdrive worriy

BennyK

Hi,
I've recently purchased a GT6 with J Type overdrive fitted and i'm new to classic car ownership.
It's just come back from the garage after an MOT and I've noticed the overdrive only works very occasionally and only when  in 3rd.
When I collected the car from the MOT the OD switch was left "in".
Presumably the garage drove the car in reverse at some point. Can this harm the OD unit if the switch is left in this position?

Another worry I have is that there's quite a lot of white smoke/steam coming out of the exhaust even when the car has been run at working temp. for a while. Is this normal during cold weather , or does it indicate a problem?

Many thanks,
Benny

Quote:
I've recently purchased a GT6 with J Type overdrive fitted and i'm new to classic car ownership.
It's just come back from the garage after an MOT and I've noticed the overdrive only works very occasionally and only when  in 3rd.

-----This is probably due to worn wiring in the stick. Its only making intermittent contact, and when in 4th gear its being 'pulled' and making no contact. Its a common problem and you need to replace the wiring that runs up the inside of the stick... (tunnel cover off I'm afraid.)

Quote:
When I collected the car from the MOT the OD switch was left "in".
Presumably the garage drove the car in reverse at some point. Can this harm the OD unit if the switch is left in this position?
-----No, so long as the OD inhibitor switch is working properly. It stop OD being engaged in gears other than 3 and 4. Reversing with OD actually on will severely damage the OD unit. So hopefully no harm done in your case.

Quote:
Another worry I have is that there's quite a lot of white smoke/steam coming out of the exhaust even when the car has been run at working temp. for a while. Is this normal during cold weather , or does it indicate a problem?
----Pretty normal in colder weather. I would only worry if it blows 'clouds' of white smoke on revving.

Determine if the OD inhibitor swithch is functional or even present.  The J type OD was not originally installed on GT6's, so the one on there now was installed by a previous owner, who may or may not have installed the inhibitor switch.

Sitting in the car with the door closed, turn the ignition switch on without starting the car, turn on the OD switch, engage the handbrake, & engage the clutch.  Move the gear lever to 2nd then 3rd gear, & you should hear the OD solenoid clack as it is energized going into 3rd.  Move the gear lever from 4th back to 1st & you should hear the solenoid thump as it is de-engergized.  It should also clack going from 1st or 2nd going into 4th.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok , so this is getting strange. Took the car out for a run now with the wiring and switch  taken out of the gear lever and o/d 4th is fine, just can't it to work in o/d 3rd.
Any ideas - surely if the switch and the wiring to it switches in and out OK then you should be able to get o/d in both 3rd and 4th?

By putting a direct feed to solonoid, and either useing the OE gear stik switch,
ora inline switch ye can click in / oot when ye driving.

No need to actually drive, just jack the back wheels up, and drive it with wheels oft grun

simples

M

So - I've had a bit of  time to tinker and by way of a test replaced the wiring which would normally go through the gear lever so it can be operated from the dash. I've also fitted an illuminated on/off switch.
With the ignition on and the switch on if you work through the gears the switch illuminates when 3rd and 4th are selected.
But still no working overdrive on the road.
Can I assume from this that the switch and that replaced length of wiring are OK and that the problem lies elsewhere?