herald

single rail (spit and dolly 1500) is 1" longer and has j type od, plus it has a "fine tooth" input shaft, so requires the dolly 1300 clutch plate fitting. Also the j-type has the larger output flange than the earlier 3 rail boxes.
Late 3 rail boxes from spit IV have the larger output flange, some are j type.
Earlier bixes have 3 synchro like the herald boxes.
Propshaft generally have to be made to measure, though the vitesse non od prop is about right for a 3 rail box, but may need flanges playing with! easy enough to do, but can put the prop out of balance.

I take it you are aware of the complete list of parts required? speedo cable, angle drive, od switch/lever, rubber mount and plate?
Cheers
Clive

cliftyhanger wrote:

I take it you are aware of the complete list of parts required? speedo cable, angle drive, od switch/lever, rubber mount and plate?

Relay for D'Type?  If you get a Spitfire MkIV box (nicer as it has synchromesh 1st) then you really need a custom prop as it is 1/4" longer than the Spitfire Mk I-III box's.

ps just upgraded  a 13/60 to MkIV Spitfire O/D!

re the rear flange; if the holes are 5/16" diameter (1/2" Spanner) then it's a Spitfire MkI -III
                           if the holes are 3/8" diameter (9/16" Spanner) then it's a Spitfire MkIV

ps although the flanges could have been swapped. Canleys do the correct size prop. If it's a MkI-III box then a Vitesse Non-OD 47" will (justabout fit) as you want a 46.5" prop. If it's a MkIV box I think it's a custom job as you want a 46.25 prop.

Although a certain person I know 'could' suggest moving the engine forward on a spacer!  ??)

Richard_B wrote:

Although a certain person I know 'could' suggest moving the engine forward on a spacer!  ??)

Reckon one might well get away without the spacer for any 3 rail, worth checking first though.
Interesting that frontline supply a 10mm spacer with their £1500 type 9 conversion. As if that engine isn't far enough forward as it is.
Besides I am always a believer of getting the car back on the road asap (especially when you need it for work Monday)
  ;)

Archived