Vitesse Overdrive gearbox

Camo

looks ok to me, d type o/d etc. the bracket looks welded to thw chassis?? I have "made" plates (ie cut and drilled a 3-4 mm thick plate) as at least it will fit and all holes in the correct place. unlike some new ones. Ask canleys though, they may be better now than a couple of years ago.

Clive

arrr it did look different from the J type I put in the Spitfire, I know Bill raves about the d type gearbox, I have no idea when it will get fitted though can't spare the time off the road right now.... is there a way of testing the solenoid before fiting ? sending current though it will see it work ?
Yes the bracket base was welded to the chassis, very odd but it looks like the non o/d braket was cut out rather than unbolted, maybe it wouldn't budge.

Stuart

[quote by=Camo link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1164573630,s=4 date=1164575877]arrr it did look different from the J type I put in the Spitfire, I know Bill raves about the d type gearbox, [/quote]

I only rave about the A-type overdrive, not something you can install in a Vitesse without serious work.
The D-type is fine for unmodified four cylinder engins, there is a good argument that the J-type is more suited to the higher torque of the six cylinder engines. What you have is a D-type, should be OK on a relatively standard engine, plenty of GT6s and Vitesses running problem free with them,
Cheers,
Bill.

You can test the solenoid, by simply removing the rectangular cover to expose the linkage and connecting the solenoid wire to the positive terminal of your battery and an earth from the negative side to the OD casting.

When it's fully out the hole in the link arm should line up with the hole in the casing. There are adjusting nuts to correct it if necessary.

Glen.

aye sorry Bill, its the d type 3 rail box for heralds / spitfires you liked ! my mistake and have tested the solenoid and can here it click on and off so good news there, just need a good clear few days to swap them over when I have no where to go and the time left alone to do it.... now gearbox from inside car or take out engine and box and swap them then refit ?? which would you recommend bearing in mind I will be alone doing it and fitting a gearbox in  spitfire was a pig !

Stuart

Gearbox remove and fit from inside the car.  Remove the passenger seat for access.

If you were putting single rail plus j-type in the spit, you will find the Vitesse alot easier as this gearbox, with D type and alloy bell housing is lighter.

You need two jacks, ideally one to be a trolley jack.  One supports the engine and allows you to raise the back quite a bit to help the angle, the other (the trolley if you have one) supports the gearbox.  You may need to trim the front of the transmission tunnel a little.  I have done this alot this year and have got quite good at it, will be doing again soon when the Toyota box goes in.........

Nick

got you, it certainly seems lighter than the J type single rail that I swapped 3 times in 2 weeks ! it got easy in the end if anything that heavy in such a confined space can be called easy !
I always wanted an alloy bell housing and didn't know I had one until you pointed it out,  noone warned me first time round that the engine would drop backwards when the gearbox was removed !!
it really is amazing how much you can learn just be doing the jobs you thought you couldn't do and find out you can do, got to love Triumphs...

Stuart

Archived