lucas fuel pump wiring

mark davies

hi
could someone please steer me in the right direction wiring up fuel pump
my battery is already in the boot
i am no electrican but this is the way i see it
i was going to use another fuse block in the boot run one wire to front fuse box the other to battery
connect pump to rear  fuse bloke
if this would work which wier should go the front and which to battery
and on the front fuse box where woul i get power only when ignition is on
thanks

Hello Mark,

the P.I. pump when Triumph built the cars originally was fed through a safety switch (inertia) so in the event of an accident the pump will be switched off. Such a switch should be installed but use a relay to power the pump. The inertia switch should be connected to an ignition fed source, which then supplies the coil side of the relay. All this can be in a light section wire, Feed the power side of the relay from the battery via a fuse with a medium section wire and like wise from the power side of the relay to the pump.

Alec

Hello Mark,

yes that's about it. Is the car originally a P.I. , if so it should also have the safety switch on the left hand side of the bulkhead?  It's a white cylindrical plastic device with a button top.
If it was not originally a P.I., ideally you need to source a P.I. petrol tank as it is slightly different.
Alec

petrol tank already fitted i presume that i can use regular fuel line between tank and filter and filter to pump
j took the injectors out 5 screw type 1 push in and one of them rattles
i strip a spare metering unit just to see how it works what servicable parts can be fitted with out disturbing settings
thanks for advice

Hello Mark,

yes, there's only the tank pressure between the filter and pump so not pressure to worry about.

Did you notice that on the pump there is a small metal pipe, this is a tell tale to let you know if the pump seal is passing and should have a small length of plastic pipe through a hole in the boot floor, so any petrol leak is drained out of the car, and as I say is a tell tale of a failed seal.

Alec

thanks
will send spare metering unit away for rebuild
when i stripped down metering unit that i had lying under the bench for 10 years the seals look good so im hoping seals on engine metering unit ok
its going to trial and error
im collecting bosch parts as well
iv got a decent s bottom end tr5 cam pi heads which i might put in other car at some stage
mark

CRAJ wrote:
I agree with Alec totally, the heat build up in the Lucas pumps is as much to do with a poor supply to the pump as anything else. Under voltage heats the pump up.
I have never had problems on my pi because of the Lucas pump.

Colin

Famous last words........................................esp after chat this morning and RBRR  :X

I will have a spare one on board in October, Lucas of course, just incase. ;)

Also although it wasn't part of the original question on the thread, don't forget to put a stop tap in the feed to the filter from the tank, it makes changing the element and any subsequent pump maintenance so much easier.

Colin

Hello Mark,

don't forget the relay and feed it from your battery, being in the boot, it will give a nice short run. The goose neck on the tank is the return from the metering unit. I.e., you have a fuel line from the pump to the metering unit and a fuel line from the metering unit to the tank.

Alec

thanks alec
iv got new fuel line but first need to fix slop in bottom end of engine
if i post pic of bottom end please comment
washers in sump one bent like bannana
big end down to copper but more of concern is big groove in the cap
both are standard size so never been touched
anyway iv ordered standard bearings and oversize thrust
should i have groove welded and machined
thanks
mark

• 2 weeks later...