Alternative seats

Mr Happy

Mine has Saab 9-3 seats, non tilters from a 4 door.  It took some work getting the runners lowered and slightly offset.
I was looking for BMW seat at first but when I bought a Saab I had another think about it.  
Fitted them purely to replace the worn and saggy originals, thinking that one day I will rebuild those and refit them. 5 yrs later still have not done anything....

Julian

When I used my 2500 mk2 for the 160 miles per day home work travel I did back then, and found that the foam in the original seats were past their best, I installed seats of an Interceptor Mk1 I had spare. Very comfortable and recommended.
When I sold the car three years later I forgot to remove the seats. Still annoyed I lost those seats.

I have bmw 3 series coupe seats in mine, simple to fit and really comfortable, I've spent 48 hours in them on a couple of round britains and swear my back feels better when I get out of the car, so the lumber must be pretty good.

Hi all

Thanks for the feedback.

Floyd, those BMW seats look great.  I'll see what's on flea bay.  I could definitely live with the non standard alternative especially since I intend to use the car as often as possible....in comfort.  Was it an easy fit in terms of replacing the runners.

They were pretty simple to fit, the BMW runners have the same hole pitch length ways so bolted up without any modification on the gearbox tunnel side. The hole pitch width is narrower on the BMW runners so I cut a couple of strips of steel to bolt to the runners and extend them to line up with the stag fixing holes, 10 minutes with a hacksaw and a drill, nothing complicated.
The stag seats are offset on there runners and by some fluke mounting the BMW seats this way places them central to the steering wheel.
I wasn't sure about French blue when I first got the car, but it's really grown on me.

Quoted from Ridgetone Triumph
It's a pity you didn't needs these a year and a bit ago, I throws these out  
Heads up, don't fit E46 seats unless you have huge amount of torque and BHP...............ain't that right Floyd 😉

Weigh as much as a small planet?  I had some E36 coupe seats in the PI like that.  They also had one very offset runner and modifying them to fit was challenging.  They were pretty comfy though - the day after a whole night in them (HCR 2012?) was the first day I'd had free of back pain in months!

Nick

Quoted from Nick Jones

Weigh as much as a small planet?  I had some E36 coupe seats in the PI like that.  They also had one very offset runner and modifying them to fit was challenging.  They were pretty comfy though - the day after a whole night in them (HCR 2012?) was the first day I'd had free of back pain in months!

Nick

Yes they took a little sorting and have to agree with you about the comfort and sitting in them all night on the HCR 😉

I don't know the model year on the ones I've got fitted now but there actually lighter than the stag ones I took out. The previous ones that Pete had were from a convertible with built in seat belts and electric adjustment, far to heavy and fouled the t bar.

• 10 months later...

Hi all

Got hold of a pair of BMW E46 coupe seats.....Even when powered down to the lowest position they were too high.

I mounted them on to the Stag runners.....Phooodoo....still too high.

Has anyone encountered the same problem?

Suggestions welcomed......might even end up re-trimming the originals but I really want the comfort of a modern seat.