Door card repairs

Jonny-Jimbo

I've once again got AJ's MX5 in many bits. This time to try to sort some annoying rattles in the door card. At first I thought it was in the door, but it seems it might actually be the door card itself.

The MX5 door cards (as with many manufacturers) are made of different pieces joined together - there is a plastic moulding at the top which is screwed to a fibre-board lower section, then as usual a bunch of fir-tree clips around the edge to attach to the door.
The bit in question is the fibreboard. Where the screws mount the two halfs together the board is badly damaged, and there is a split in it too.

What would be the best way to repair it? Soak the ripped areas of the board in Araldite, or use fibreglass and resin to bond it and recreate the bits of the board that I can then redrill the mounting holes in?

Any pointers?

(Not this kind )

I too would suggest fibreglass, handy for repairing all sorts of things. If you're really stuck though you could try some thin cotton cloth (old shirts or sheets) fixed with weatherproof PVA - it gives a little flexibility which may or may not be helpful in this application. I've found it surprisingly strong on cardboard and the material you're dealing with is pretty much the same thing.

That link doesn't work Ferny - well, not for me anyway.

I'd rather repair, as there's nothing really wrong with them. Plus, it's been about 5 years since I did any fibreglassing. As I have to get the Ginetta rebuilt this summer it'll be good to get some practice in.

Anyway, I fibreglassed them last night, and the resin set pretty quickly as I mixed it strong - Remounted the two door card halfs together and back on the doors too.

I also rebuilt the gearstick was it was sloppy and horrible, and just as I was about to test drive it it started raining. Damn.