Piero franchi

Hi Guys

I am in the middle of a resto, well its a resto with a rather lot of modiing  ;)

one thing that is on my to do list is the wiper motor.
I have a spit Mk2, with single speed wiper motor.
I am wishing to change it to the two speed motor.

NOW I have at my disposal, boths types of two speed motor, One as per the GT6 other as per late spit.

I have never seen either twin speed motor in action, not just from a motor point of veiw,
but more when fitted, which works better.

I say this as the late spitfire also used a differant arm mechernisum (spelling)

Piero_franchi wrote:
I say this as the late spitfire also used a differant arm mechernisum (spelling)

The GT6 MkI (and I think MkII) used a square'ish bodied wiper motor aka TR5 wiper motor and hence is not cheap.

The later Gt6 MkIII /1500 wiper motor uses the round clamp mounts.

Don't think there's a lot of difference, but I would say stay with the earlier style that matches your shell. and all the fitments would match.

Re spelling, I have problems as well, but I've started using Google Chrome. When you are typing/posting it underlines suspected spelling mistakes in Red like MS Word.

Hi Thanks for your reply

I really would like to know how they work in the real world.

the amount off moding I have done to my spit, changing the wiper motor, bracket, and fittings is no real problem.

I am in the middle of fitting early spit mk4 (black plastic) dash into my mk2, togeather with a late spit 1500 wiring loom,
the loom at least will have the fitment for the latter wiper motor.

Do the latter wiper motors work any better than the two speed square older type

Hi Piero,

in my opinion, the later wipermotor is the better one.
The DR3 (square) is not a real 2 speed, but more a single speed with an added slow speed. Only 2 brushes.
The later is a real 2 speed motor with 3 brushes.
Only drawback is the wiring. The old ones were switched to earth, while the late are switched to plus. But with the new wiring loom no problem there.
You also need the first tube that connects to the motor.
Cheers
Harry

Archived