Think i cooked my starter?

Matt306

Hi all, i was trying to start the herald from its slumber and think i might have cooked the starter. It went slower and slower and now nothing, i have shorted out the solenoid contacts and tested resistance from the Solenoid to the starter and from the starter casing to earth on the batter all are fine. I took the starter out opened it up, found some sign of pitting on the bushes and on the armature contacts. I ran an ohm meter across the armature contacts and basically there is current all across the armature contacts ie i can place the contact in one place and on each of the other contacts there is a flow of current .

Have i don't what i think i have done and cooked it to death... yes I probably cranked it for too long... yes i know a stupid mistake!

By the way which club was having a meet driving through Herefordshire last Sunday the 5th July 2015... there was some fantastic TRs and a couple of Herald too...

Hi, I can't help you with the original query, but it was the Gloucester TSSC and Glavon TR clubs going around Herefordshire.  I didn't go round with them, but met up with them at the start near Newent.  Some absolutely lovely cars and the sound of them all starting up and hoofing it up the road was what struck me the most - it was like an old war film where the Spitfires were all scrambled and took off. Strangely quiet when the last one had gone out of sight.

Hello Pigboy,

I doubt that you have 'cooked' it, unless you can see evidence of solder being melted where the windings are joined to the commutator segments. Make sure all the brushes are free in the brush box, the springs are good and the commutator is fairly clean (use fine glass paper to clean it up if required) You should get continuity between one segment and all the rest as they are all linked at the commutator, which you say you have. Also check the stator winding where it connects to the main terminal.

Alec

Checked continuity on the others all was good. I thought the commuter should be insulated in between the contacts.  the springs are there the brushes looked smooth on two the other two looked pitted and burnt. I used a cine paper to clean up the contacts.

Hello Pigboy,

yes the segments are insulated, but not undercut as is normal on most commutator. If you look carefully you will see two winding ends soldered to each segment, this layout gives continuity between all segments.

The two pitted and burnt brushes are probably not in good contact and may need freeing in the brush box? What is cine paper? Glass paper is usually specified as other types of abrasive leave grains embedded in the copper.

Alec

Battery is new and I tried Jumping it off my Diesal 406 so tons of power. V at terminals 12.5 volts.

Heres a pic of the Commuter after being lightly rubbed, it was quite dirty before, also a pic of the bushes it appear the +ve feed bushes are the burnt ones.
I know there is a bush missing in the pic it is there and was fitted, it was nice and shiny like the other negative bush.

Hello Pigboy,

for some reason I was expecting an inertia starter,from your pictures it looks like a pre engaged starter. Brush length is important as it affects the brush pressure when they are too worn, the commutator looks fine by the way.

Alec

It might be the engine its come from. The head on it is a Spitfire head, i found this out when i ordered new valves, someone might have changed the starter too.
It has the starter cog and spring at the end of the starter. The cog spinning up and down the shaft.