Starter Motor Problem.

marktheherald

This is not on a Triumph, but a 1985 VW LT 2.4td Horsebox. However it is a pre-engaged item and I am sure the problem is common, I just need confirmation of my suspicions.  Most of the time it will spin the engine over with no problem, but occasionally NOWT, not a dicky-bird, bu..er-all. I have found that rocking the 'box back and forth in gear will mostly get it starting again. Obviously my better-half is having NONE of this (3.5 tons is a bit awkward!) and has instructed me to SORT IT OUT! My feeling is that I might have a dodgy segment on the commutator. Can anyone confirm this, or might there be another problem?  Mark.

Hello Mark,

it is fairly easy to check the commutator, however I suspect that your pinion may not be going into mesh. There is no power to the motor until the pinion is nearly all the way out, which is when the solenoid contacts make and spin the motor.
I would say it is a starter out job and have a close look at the flywheel, pinion and it's mechanism.
The next time it happens you can do a quick check on the motor by shorting the two main contacts on the solenoid, the motor should spin. (It won't start the engine as the pinion will not be in mesh)

Alec

Archived