grahamgooner

Hello,
I've just fitted an electric fan (Revotec in-line style controller and behind the radiator), but I have a couple of questions:
1) The fan seems to be rated at 61A, is this likely and if so, will I need a fuse rated above 61A?
2) The Revotec controller doesn't seem to work.  When I installed the fan (yesterday) it came on straight away (as per the instructions) and then by adjusting the controller as the car warmed up I could turn it off again.  However, once the car was about 1/4 hot the fan wouldn't turn off at all.  Usually the car runs at about 1/3 to 1/2 hot and is perfectly happy.  Is the controller busted or I'm I being thick?
Cheers,
Graham

I am not sure about the fusr rating required but I have heard people using 30AMP plus fuses for fans as they draw a high current especially on start-up. I would go for an in-line fuse directly wired to 12Volts with a rating of 40Amp+. I don't know all the ratings that are available.

The Revotec controller doesn't sound right. You should be able to adjust it so that the fan desn't come on much at all. My Kenlowe is set to only come on when the engine temperaturs creeps above 1/2. My car usually sits just below 1/2 on the gauge. The Kenlowe thermostat controller (terrible affair) that I have enables me to adjust the point at which the fan cuts in by simply turning the knob around. I have the engine up to normal temperature and adjust the thermostat til the fan is just off with a gauge reading at 1/2 (normal to hot for my car).

Does the Revotec controller not have an adjustment knob/screw so that you can do the same? I don't know the Revotec well but they are neat and I might be tempted to change from what I have at the moment to something that sits in the bottom or top hose.

Optimally the fan should jsut cut in when the water temperature exceeds normal running. I have not run a fixed fan for 3 years on my car. I sometimes hear the fan cut in when sat in traffic or when I switch the engine off. It runs for a minute or so and just takes the heat off. I usually see the gauge reading drop from just above 1/2 to just below when the fan cuts in.

This all seems to be the right set-up to me so I would try to set-up yours the same and if yours can't be adjusted in a similar fashion the either the controller is faulty or is not being used as it is desgned.

I hope this is of some help.

Regards, Neil

I have a Kenlowe fan in front of a wide radiator and this works fine.  It is the one which takes a mega current which is quite unnecessary so I have slowed it down a bit with some series resistance.  The Kenlowe controller is awful and I binned mine.  I have a thermistor strapped to the thermostat housing with a simple bit of electronics which controls a relay and is fed via a separate fuse from the starter solenoid.

[quote by=CharlieB link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1177920794,s=1 date=1177924467]Sorry I can't answer your question, but did you have to move the radiator forward to make room?[/quote]

Charlie,
Nope, the  fan sits to one side of the radiator, but does rub slightly on the water pump, but since the fan is plastic the rubbing didn't last long!

I think the Revotec thermostat is faulty, so it'll have to go back, other than being on all the time it works very well...

It's in the bottom hose.  I can't see that makes much difference though, it just won't turn off not matter how much it cools the water!  It just runs and runs no matter what I do to the screw that adjusts the range.  I think I'll try one of those identical in line switches that have a fixed cut in/out temperature (95oC on 85oC off).  At least that way there's one less thing to go wrong.

I think the idea of using an inline thermostatic adjustable switch is great. I think Davesideways uses(d) one but I originally installed a Kenlowe switch as it came with the fan and it has worked fine since installation. The way it is fed into the top hose makes me cringe but I went along with the herd at the time and went with a Kenlowe set-up.

The Revotec controller seems like a great design but I would be interested in how you resolve this as replacing my working set-up with one of their products does not hold so much appeal knowing you have had problems with one.

neil

I went for the Revotec set-up as it included a relay, was temperature adjustable and was the cheapest!  I reckon it was just dumb bad luck to get a faulty one since, as you say, others use them with no problems.  I'm just once bitten, twice shy.

Archived